Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Another Attempt at Writing Life


I've always tried to keep a constant diary. I remember having an official diary when I was a kid, a little book with something like "My Diary" stamped in gold on the cover. I have no idea where that might be now, so I can't say how successful I was in maintaining it. When I began studies at Mars Hill College in August 1977, I did my best journaling or diary-making. For a good long time, entries went into half-sized spiral notebooks almost daily, and ultimately a decent percentage of the years from 1977 to 1990 is recorded in them.

Sometime in the mid 1990s, my wife Leesa gave me a wonderful full-sized notebook with spiral binding at the top instead of the side and a picture of two children--a boy with a flute, a girl beside him--sitting and looking a piece of sheet music that seems almost the size of a poster in comparison to them. I wrote sporadically in this for the next ten years or so and finally filled it up a couple of years ago. Now I have an ETSU notebook. The first entry in it is dated "Friday, 5 November 2004" and the most recent "Wednesday, 10 May 2006"; counting these dates, the notebook has 29 entries. That's fairly pitiful, I think.

Maybe a blog will inspire me to be better at keeping up with things. I'll try to write about the things that make up my life--family, work, church, writing, music and travel.

So, welcome to anybody who might stumble across this. I'll be happy to hear from you if you should have any comments or questions about what I write.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
I am so excited that you have started a blog. I will book mark it and check it regularly. My friend Ruth, who lives in Minnesota and visits Johnson City is also reading it. She wonders if every one at CUMC has Degrees and Phd's!

7/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home