Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Some Thoughts on My Life as a Writer

Although I had the usual youthful aspirations of being a pilot or a pro basketball player, I think I always wanted to be a writer of some sort. When in the sixth grade at Walnut School (c. 1970), I wrote a little piece about Columbus discovering America in 1992. I have only a vague recollection of what he found in particular, but I seem to remember something about Indians living in teepees, smoking pot and talking like Cheech & Chong. My classmates loved it. My teacher, whose husband was a semi-famous mountain musician, tried to get a national kids' magazine to publish it. She wasn't successful. I don't know if the piece really wasn't all that great or if the subject matter wasn't acceptable; either way, I think my interest in writing began there, despite the failure to publish.

In high school, when music set up a dictatorship in my brain, I started writing songs. I wasn't very good, but my high school rock band included a couple of my original songs in our set list of Kiss and Doobie Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd covers. When I left the band in the summer between my junior and senior years, a move intended to allow me some semblance of a "normal" last year in school, I began to focus more and more on my songwriting, which was improving but still not much good. (I-at-the-time, of course, thought it was awesome!)

I went into college as a music major (flute) and continued to write songs. I transferred to another college as a music business major and continued to write songs. I transferred to yet another college as an English major and continued to write songs. In the middle of my first semester at the third college, I decided to give up school, eventually returning to Nashville--college number two was there--to make a precarious living as a songwriter. I wasn't good at the start, but I liked what I was doing by the end.

During this period, as I got better and better at what I did, much (or most) of my identity became defined by my writing. Writing was what I did. I was a writer.

When I left Nashville and became a husband and father and student (again, picking up where I left off at college number three), songwriting slowly--and necessarily, I think--faded away. But it was replaced by the writing of short stories and academic essays, by draft after draft of a novel (begun in 1992 or so and finished in 2006), by a dissertation that with only a little coaxing became a book.

But the whirlwind of life has--for the time being--scattered all my papers, so to speak, and, to be honest, done a serious eraser job on my identity.

I'm hoping this blog will help me keep in touch with writing until such time as I'm able to write again, whenever that might be. In the meantime, I'm thinking about how years ago, in the heyday of magazines, novels used to be serialized, and I'm thinking about the possibility of serializing a story--even a novel--here in this blog. I could pick one day a week, for starters, and have my blog for that day be the lastest installment of my story in progress. I have something of a precedent for this. When I first moved to Johnson City in summer 2001, a fairly famous writer and teacher in Florida began an Internet experiment in which he was online via webcam once or twice a week and writing a story. Viewers could watch and listen as he moved from inspiration (a picture and inscription on an old postcard) through regular drafting to an end product. I don't want a webcam involved, as I'm typically in my underwear when I'm blogging, but it might be interesting to find a bit of inspiration and push myself through some writing here, on a regular schedule, housing the work in progress in my Writing Life.

It's late. I'll sleep on it and see how the idea strikes me tomorrow.

P.S. In the old days of paper and pencils, a writer who didn't--or couldn't--write well or seriously was called a scribbler. In these days of computers, the same writer could be called . . .



242.2 NWT

5 Comments:

Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

There's something about academic life that suppresses identity. You really see it here in the Communist world, but I think eradication of identity occurs in any university. Maybe universities aren't unique in that regard; maybe individuality is also erased in corporations and the military. But as you know better than I writing offers us a space to reclaim individuality. Let's hear more about that novel.

9/15/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, Roz. I'm sure China is giving you new and fresh perspectives on a lot of things.

I'm thinking about some serialized work of fiction to be written on (in?) the blog. Probably I'll want it to be something I can write without a lot of research into setting, period and so on. And I'll also need to figure out how to archive (and still make readily available) the previous weeks' work when presenting new stuff.

9/15/2006  
Blogger woody said...

YES, YES, YES!!!!! I was hoping something of the sort would happen! I will wait anxiously for the first installment...by the way, the image of your atire while blogging was WAY TMI!!!

9/15/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, "I" is not the only thing there's "TM" of in the blogging situation! But I is what there's "TM" of. Uh, that's TMI again, isn't it? 'Tis a vicious circle.

9/15/2006  
Blogger nbta said...

I think you would look great in a C&W outfit! Maybe one like Little Jimmy Dickens use to wear...or you could do the all black like Johnny Cash! Seriously...There are some nice shots of you in the video that you made...maybe you could take a snap shot of a frame in that. Enjoying reading your blog and keeping up with you. Congrats on the novel. I hope and pray the company that picks it up will do what it takes to make is a success. You deserve it!

9/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home