Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Bear


I feel sorry for those closest to me at this time of year. I'm generally fairly bearish physically year 'round, but during the last week or so of a semester I act like a bear too. I lumber around the house like a caged thing, growling and snapping at anything that moves. It ain't a pretty sight.

Why?

Mostly it's to do with my job. I love what I do 90% of the time. The other 10% is the time when I have stacks of papers to grade. And I'll have stacks of papers to grade from now through the 18th, two weeks' worth of werebear behavior behind the closed door of my office and at home.

During those two weeks, I'll find plenty of decent sentences and paragraphs, and plenty of ideas worth the time it takes me to read them. But plenty isn't always enough. In between the good pieces of writing and the most interesting topics will be lots of poorly written papers on poorly thought-out topics. Most of the students could do better than they do, but they don't--for whatever reason.

Actually, I should be more honest. I teach one class filled with some twenty-three of the brightest of ETSU's freshman class and another class combining graduate students and upper-level undergraduates. I'll do so much better than many of my colleagues who are teaching two sophomore lit sections populated with that strange range of students who care and those who don't. Then there are the many folks teaching freshman composition and grading ten times the number of papers I have to grade. (Some adjuncts--between ETSU and Northeast State Technical Community College--teach four, five or six sections of freshman composition!)

Still, selfishly not caring that some people have it worse than I, I'll continue to snap and growl--and occasionally scratch my back against a door post--until this period of grading is over. Then I'll return to being the happy-go-lucky wrestling bear in a traveling show or the trick bear decked out in Christmas ribbons and sitting on the ice with a bottle of Coke or a cold holiday beer between my paws.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

12/05/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think you could have found a nastier looking bear?! Be nice...

12/05/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Well, it's an intense picture, to be sure. It isn't all that bad :)

12/05/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know I really don't understand the desire to read! But, I would of thought you would enjoy reading the fruits of your teaching.
I used to get great pleasure seeing a production line full of stuff I had designed.
Dennis

12/05/2006  
Blogger quig said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/05/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Well, I can understand the production line example, but this is, unfortunately, a different thing. If I had "designed" their papers rather than just assigning them, I might like them a little better over all. But this is where they have to take what they've learned or the procedures they've learned and put them into action out of their own minds. Imagine having your design and, rather than putting it into production yourself, you had to tell a group of students (not all them engineering students) about the design and then let them draw it up and put it into production. How might that turn out? Yikes!?!

12/05/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Yikes indeed - Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

12/05/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home