Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dark Shadows


[Blogger is not paragraphing right tonight.]
* * * This is Barnabas Collins, a 200-year-old New England vampire. He's from Maine, I think. Barnabas is the centerpiece of a 1960s afternoon soap opera called Dark Shadows. The show came on ABC every afternoon--right after General Hospital--for four or five years. I used to run home every afternoon to get the wits scared out of me in broad daylight!
* * * In the early days the show seemed much like a regular soap opera, except for the presence of the vampire. It offered love stories and intrigue, the lives of folks from the coffeeshop waitress to the matriarch of the wealthy Collins family. Later in its run, however, Barnabas was joined by ghosts and witches and werewolves and other vampires. The show even offered time travellers as it took long narrative leaps into New England's Puritan past.
* * * Watching Dark Shadows changed the way I slept. After a time or two of getting scared silly--running outside onto the porch and watching through a window--I began to sleep with heavy cover. I needed to feel the weight of quilts on top of me in order to feel safe in the night. I pulled these up around my throat--winter and summer--and wrapped them around my head like a hood. This has stuck with me to some extent. I still find it difficult to sleep with only a sheet, even in the hottest weather.
* * * Recently I've been renting episodes of Dark Shadows on DVD. It's a silly show. Most of the things the creators thought hip back in the 1960s (and early 1970s) are purely campy now. It's a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants production. And it seems to have been done live, or almost so. Actors stumble over their lines. The lighting is usually bad, and the microphone is often in the shot, either in shadow or in reality.
* * * Dark Shadows is a piece of nostalgia, and, believe it or not, the only thing that scares me these 40 years later is the fact that it scared me in the first place.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Knowing this explains alot! No wonder we don't see eye to eye on so many topics.

2/13/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/13/2007  
Blogger mac said...

I've never been one for horror movies and such. Science fiction, yes; horror, no. But DS either inspired or revealed a certain quality of mind that probably became instrumental to my writing. If that characteristic weren't there, I can imagine never having written songs like "Dark Corners" or "The Street I Live On."

2/14/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

I know the dark side has shown up in a lot of your writings...those 2 songs didn't come from there! That was of another "Spirit" reaching much deeper into your soul. Deep into the character that haunts all of mankind.

And those 2 songs are the two that continue to "rattle my bones" and make me "wash my hands" when I try to run from the "Spirit" that calls me to live a life worthy of a servant of the Most High God.

Thanks for writing them...and I should thank DS for triggering it all! Keep writing those songs brother.

2/14/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home