Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Blogging in Madison County

Just a quick note from the public library in Marshall, North Carolina. I'm at my mom's this weekend, taking out the garbage and spraying off the car and getting her groceries. These are usually relaxed weekends for me, although I miss the wife and son when I'm away. We don't work it out enough for them to come with me.

Last night, when Mom was getting ready to go to bed, I left for Asheville, where I visited a club called Chasers. The house band there features two of my old White Water Band compadres--Terry on guitar and Kirk on drums. Visiting with me from Spruce Pine was Jim, the WWB's other guitar player. The table was completed by Terry's wife, Jim's wife and daughter and two of Jim's friends.

We had a great time listening to the music and talking during the breaks. I stayed at the club until 12:45 or so, something I haven't done in years and years.

We're planning a WWB reunion in Spruce Pine for sometime late in May. We had a good time together last night, so I'm betting that this reunion of a band that existed over 30 years ago will be a fun time.

Off to the grocery store!


255.4

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

You are a wonderful son Michael, and I know how much your Mother enjoys your visits. I love old people and I thank you for being one of those "kids" that care!!! Not to many of them left.

4/12/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Now that's cool! I hope you guys have a great reunion and the band rocks...or doesn't...whatever the sound should be! Better get your vocal chops up!

Hope your mom is well and I agree with Ruth...you're a good son. Take care of her and enjoy every minute being with her.

4/12/2008  
Blogger quig said...

they have said all that needs to be said - thanks for sharing....

4/14/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I agree with John.
Dennis

4/14/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

4/17/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home