Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

[Is There a Draft in Here?]

I'm listening to an atheist,
whose ideas are reductionist,
his knowledge of humanity seems flawed.

The host is being kind
to let him speak his mind--
that morals come from science, not from God,

who blessed his folks with slavery,
supported them in knavery
and killed those who opposed him with great ease.

The scientific morals of
the atheist are devoid of love
and leave us all less human by degrees.


Some potential in the topic, I think, but this is a weak draft. One thing such a poem might ultimately say is that somehow without God what is most human in us is gone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this. I really like the concept that our humanity is of God, we are all of the One. I hope you will make the draft a finished work.

10/11/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home