Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Disappearing Years

This morning at about 7:40 I stood and watched my son Raleigh disappear through the doors of his new school, University High (UH), and at that moment he officially became a freshman in high school, a full blown teenager. He's been going to school here in Johnson City since the 4th grade (Southside Elementary and Jonesborough Middle School), and in the short amount of time it took him to go from then to now, he'll be graduated from high school. I find that difficult to believe--and difficult to think about.

NWT 247.0

2 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

So, after reading about Raleigh I said to Marie " Why is Raleigh going to school today" Marie told me that UH is an all year round school. Just shows how little I know. Anyway, good luck to you young man and make the most of this great opportunity!

7/13/2006  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I have seen Raleigh's name many times in the "compass". It's nice to finally put a name with the face. He is a very handsome young man indeed!

7/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home