Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, September 15, 2006

More on Writing, Grandfather II, &c.

Okay, I've slept on it and decided that I'm going to try to incorporate some of my fiction into the blog. I've appreciated the venue for writing that I've found here, and I've gotten into a fairly good rhythm. So, seems to me that to devote at least one blogging session a week to the drafting of some work of fiction (short story, novella, novel) or creative nonfiction will be both productive and fun (for me at least). It'll be good discipline as well, something that I struggle with as a writer. I'm thinking that this should probably be one of the weekend entries--a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We'll see. My task over the next few days will be to come up with the idea, something that will work in this kind of space and not require much if any research, something I can create in the same way I create my regular blogs (writing wardrobe details aside).

"Grandfather II"? I got a call from my older son Lane yesterday to say that he and my daughter-in-law are expecting their second child in April 2007! Leesa and Raleigh and I are quite excited.

Speaking of Raleigh, he just started the first of three three-week breaks built into his new "year-'round" schedule. He doesn't go back until the second Monday in October.

I'm heading over the mountain to spend the weekend in North Carolina with my mom. Raleigh's going with me. First, of course, he and I will swing by Barberitos for Fish Friday! If I can get access tomorrow, I might post an entry from the Madison County Public Library in Marshall.




241.0 NWT

1 Comments:

Blogger woody said...

CONGRATULATIONS...on both the expected child and creative writing! I'm excited about both, too!!

9/15/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home