Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, September 29, 2006

No Blank Blog

I teach on Thursday nights--ENGL 4207/5207: Literature of the South, a split-level course including both advanced undergraduates and graduate students. Class runs from 5:00 to 7:50. So I usually try to leave the office empty-handed so that I take the rest of Thursday evening off. Friday, then, because I don't teach at all, becomes a catch-as-catch-can day. Here's how it went:

  1. I woke up early and got up slowly, which is the way I like it best.
  2. had a bit of breakfast--cereal.
  3. messed around with some email, read some blogs, general Internet lollygagging.
  4. went to Willow Springs and "danced my dance" as William Byrd the II used to put it back in the late 17th and early 18th century--meaning, I exercised.
  5. came home, shaved and showered.
  6. paid some bills and got a couple of deposits ready for the banks.
  7. left the house to do some banking and drop the monthly payment off at the Power Board.
  8. ate a fish burrito, as I do every Friday, at Barberitos.
  9. made it to campus around 1:45, went to the post office and stopped by my office before going to a meeting.
  10. met with a task force in the College of Business and Technology, a task force charged with trying to improve the writing performance of the college's various majors.
  11. crossed State of Franklin and did some more banking--when I'd stopped by my office I found a royalty check from my publisher, not much money but a nice surprise anyway.
  12. returned to my office to take care of more emails.
  13. attended a late afternoon lecture on Arthur Miller and Death of a Salesman; we had a visiting scholar from Georgia State University in Atlanta.
  14. drove home and got Raleigh and took him to Amigo for supper.
  15. took Raleigh home and drove to the Acoustic Coffeehouse for a visit and beer with some of my colleagues and our visiting scholar.
  16. drove--not under the influence--to Ingles in Jonesborough for Friday night ice cream.
  17. returned home to visit with my brother- and sister-in-law and their granddaughter and to watch a silly movie--Rolling Kansas--with Raleigh.
  18. played some guitar with Raleigh while watching some of Letterman's show.
  19. read some more blogs and emails.
  20. went to bed.
Along about 9:00 or so, before Raleigh and I started watching the movie, I sat down at the computer to work on my blog and discovered my blog page a blank! I thought I'd lost everything. At some point I received an email from Dennis saying that he wasn't seeing anything there either. After the movie, I came back to find my blogspot still blank, and so I wrote the blogger help folks to see what could be done. I knew I wasn't likely to hear from them quickly--it's being a Friday night and all--so I went to my index where I can edit my recent posts. I opened the one for Thursday the 28th, and it was there. I was obviously releived to find that all was not lost. I took a chance and hit "Publish Post," and when it was loaded, I took a look at the blog and everything was there again. What a relief! I soon received another email from Dennis saying that he could see it too and that he was glad I was back. I'm glad to be back!



243.6 / 241.8

4 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
You seemed to spend a lot of time paying bills and going to the bank and the power board yesterday. I think you need to try online banking!
Dennis

PS I am glad your blog is all there!

9/30/2006  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

yes, and even I do on-line banking..lol...thanks to you know who.. :)

9/30/2006  
Blogger mac said...

I used to do online banking but got away from it when I moved here. Could go back to it, I guess!

9/30/2006  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

Hi Mike,

I've been reading your blog, but there's been trouble posting comments. Glad you got yours back. It's very upsetting when anything happens to your blog, I know.

10/01/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home