Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Sunset


Today was a good day, a simple day (more or less) from start to finish. I went to work, did some reading, went to class, had some lunch, did some more reading, led a committee meeting, read some more and then went home. (Okay, I like my job a lot!)

Tonight was comfortable at home, eating the regular Monday night pizza and watching King of the Hill, hanging out with my family, talking with my cousin on the telephone, watching the Daily Show and now sitting at the keyboard.

It was all good.

My favorite part was the hour of sunset. The year is moving into my favorite time--autumn. (I've often said that I could live in October forever.) A little after seven o'clock this evening, as the sun was going down and its warm orange was striping the walls in the house, I dressed out in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, put on my mp3 player and headed out to Willow Springs Park. The sky hung clear and blue above me, and the air held that autumn chill I love.

As I walked and ran to the rhythm of the music, the vault of heaven grew deeper and deeper blue from west to east. The stars appeared, clear and sparkling. Having worked the dayshift, the moon--just a sliver in its current phase--hung low in the West.

The movement (even of a 47-year-old body), the greeting of and from people met on the track, the wonder of song in the ears, the chill in the air, the ever-changing light all around me--for a little over an hour, these things came together for a lovely evening out.

It was all good.


PS--The sunset above isn't local, and it isn't my photography (obviously). I picked it up from www.comcast.net.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fall is incredible...wish it could stay like this all year 'round!

9/26/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home