Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

For S--- A-------

A friend died late last night, and we didn't find out until this morning. Conversation about this woman's energy reminded me of these lines from section six of Whitman's "Song of Myself" (in Leaves of Grass):


. . . The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life and doest not wait at the end to arrest it,
And ceas'd the moment life appear'd.

All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.

1 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

It hurts when friends die. May the Lord bless her family and friends and comfort all of you. mark

2/14/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home