Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Six Years Smokeless


Early this afternoon, I was driving on State of Franklin, returning home from a run to the post office, and I noticed a driver ahead of me flicking the ashes from his cigarette out the window. I first remembered doing that myself. Then I remembered to be glad I no longer smoke. Then I remembered that I've never smoked in Johnson City--not since I moved here, at least. Then I remembered that today is the 6th anniversary of the day I quit smoking!
_
It happened like this. That summer of 2001, my little family and I were all over the place. We were in Murray, Kentucky, where I taught at Murray State University. We were in Asheville, North Carolina, where we were to live briefly again in preparation for moving to Johnson City, Tennessee. We were in Ahoskie, North Carolina, a small town down on the coastal plains where my wife's father came from. And I was due to return to Murray on 30 June to prepare for teaching a couple of classes in the second summer session.
All this traveling, all this up and down somehow upset my allergies, and I had strange dizzy reactions that I'd never experienced before. It was a bit scary, to be honest. And so I was concerned about that portion of my health--not the smoking--and, I think, was vulnerable to any actions that might tend toward improving the way I felt.
_
Anyway, I left Arden, North Carolina, on the morning of the 30th and bought a pack of American Spirit (the yellow pack, I think) just before I got on I-26 to begin the long trip to Murray. I traveled west on I-26 and then west on I-40, smoking all the way. I stopped in Nashville and smoked with my friend Mark. I headed northwest on I-24 and then took the two-lane through the Land Between the Lakes--smoking, smoking, smoking.
_
I remember rolling into Murray at 11:30 or so that night, smoking as I arrived the last cigarette in the pack I'd bought that morning. I finished it, and I finished smoking.
_
Lots of elements probably came together to make this cold-turkey quit a success: the allergy-related dizziness already mentioned, the fact that I was away from my smoking buddy in Asheville, that I was house-sitting my first couple of weeks in Murray for non-smoking friends, that nowhere in Murray could I buy American Spirit, and--last but not least--that my young son wanted me to quit.
_
I still want a cigarette periodically. But the urge is never that strong. If I survive to 75 ot 80 and both cigarettes and the urge are still around, I might take it up again.
_
But I doubt it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
I am so pleased that you are back online! It was interesting to read your story about quiting smoking. I should write my story, I went cold turkey 24 years ago! We will drink to "not smoking" on the 2nd Tuesday!
Dennis

6/30/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

I'm so honored to have been your last
stop smoking friend! Ahh...the good ol' days....when you understood how important it was to having a "smoking section" in your favorite restaurant!
Which reminds me...I'm so ticked at Bredeson and all the worthless politicians who fall prey to idiots and think its a great idea to make a name by taking away rights and freedom to Americans who own their own businesses. What a bunch of .....

Dennis, a great stout beer and no smoke?! That's like fish without chips!

6/30/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

A response to Mark,
I really enjoyed smoking, but, I decided to quit. It was 1984 and in Minneapolis MN smoking was already becoming anti-social. 23 years later I am very happy with my decision. I really think that the fish & chips taste better and so does the beer.
The choice is still a personal one. But I really believe it was a good choice for me.
Dennis

6/30/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Dennis, you're much better off for quitting and so is Michael! I've tried many times, but honestly, I've never really wanted to quit...just trying to quit for everyone else in my life and knowing that in this world we live in now, it's like being a leper...or worse, an American!

Don't ever start up again! Enjoy your taste buds!

7/01/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I am so thankful I never started, just wasn't in the right social group I guess (thank God).

Dennis, I am also very happy you stopped smoking. I remember when you did and knew it was hard for you, but you had a wonderful friend named Marie you were thinking of first.

Mark..I won't preach at you, it will be your decision only, but I will pray that you will some day.

Thank care!!

7/01/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Mark,
The problem today with smoking is the additional cost of insurance. If you want long term care insurance or, if you retire before you are 65, medical insurance, the cost will be much higher.
I hope you choose to quit soon, every smoke free day allows those lungs and heart to work more easily and the beer taste even better.

7/01/2007  
Blogger quig said...

The serenity prayer - God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference - is popular in many step programs. But it does remind me that the only person I have control over is me. That I cannot change any other persons behavior and should not spend so much time trying. I have quit somoking also, but if you choose not to, that is your business. Blessings to all of you, peace, john

7/01/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

7/01/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Glad to see you all are still checking my blog. Home Internet is still out! I had time to do this at the office over the weekend.

Mark, I can honestly say that just about the only time that I miss smoking is when I'm hanging out with you and jb.

Quit when you want to or when you get scared enough to (although I hope the former comes before the latter).

7/02/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another of the many strange coincidences that make our lives richer. As I figure it, Mike, you quit on June 30th, 2001, and after many years of smoking, Laura and I both quit Sept. 10, 2002. That makes it nearly six years for me now, and I will say I really don't miss them all that much. I once quit for 5 and a half years and started back. Slow learner I guess. All the reinforcement I need is to go to a smokey bar once in a while. The smell sticks to your clothes, and you want to air them out before you even put them in your dirty clothes hamper....These are good things to remember.....They let us celebrate being non-smokers and remind us why we want to continue as such. Love and Strenght to all who quit and attempt to quit. Peace, Jim

4/14/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home