Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Williamsburg Miscellany



Well, I'm on the road again. This time at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. The occasion? A joint conference of the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the Society of Early Americanists. I belong to the SEA, a more literary organization than the OIEAHC, which is more historical.

I drove over here on Wednesday, and on Thursday morning I presented presented a paper on Charles Brockden Brown's Literary Magazine, and American Register (1803-1807). Having discharged my official duties early, I've spent the rest of the time attending different sessions, sleeping, eating, walking and writing.

I've had some revelations about my career as a scholar, revelations which I'll mull over a bit and then maybe write about here. But before I can do much about these . . . My professional life will be changing a good bit over this summer, and I don't yet know how that's going to affect any new ideas about myself as a scholar and writer.

More later.

Right now, I'm going to go to bed. The conference runs through midday tomorrow, but I've had enough. I'm anxious to get home and try to relax a little bit here and there.

News Flash: My younger son is now driving (with his brand-spanking new Learner Permit).

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Things are changing? So what does that mean?! Can't believe R is driving. How did he get that old so quick? Tell him congrats for me.

6/10/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Things are changing indeed - Congratulations to R - Good luck to you. This very week, Wednesday, I was presented with my 6th grandchild - this is good news and bad news - the bad news is I am old enough to have 6 grandchildren and the good new is the same!!! I love Williamsburg! see you soon, john

6/11/2007  
Blogger quig said...

oops, that makes 7 grandchildren!!

6/11/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home