Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, May 11, 2007

An Afternoon in Washington, DC







































Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

I've been to Washington DC twice and enjoyed it very much. So much to see and do, can never do it on one trip. Looks like you had great weather. Nice pics.

5/11/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Some questions.

1.What's with the plane flying over Washington?
2.How's that lady holding up that huge stone plaque?
3. What kind of camera do you have that takes such clear pictures?
4. And how did you get so grey so fast?!

5/11/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Some answers:

1. A plane flies over every minute or two as it makes its approach to Reagan National Airport.
2. An African-American woman "holds up" Lincoln's Gettysburg Address? Actually she's reaching up to hold on to it. Think of the first verse of "Freedom, Love & Forgiveness."
3. It's a Kodak EasyShare Z760.
4. The graying of the whiskers on my chin seems to be in direct porportion to the thinning of the hair on my head.I don't know how it's happening so fast, but I imagine that it's a combination of a lot of things--I'm 48; I have a lot of dreams that never came true; I have a lot of dreams that continue to come true; I sit alone too much, chin-in-hand, thinking, feeling, wrestling with God; I'm up too much in the middle of the night (like now at 3:07 a.m.); I have a life (wife, children, extended family, job, mortgage and so on).

5/12/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

I've got to get one of those cameras. I spent way too much on mine and I never get pictures that clear! My cell phone does a better job taking pictures.

As far as your answer to number 4...Grey is a good thing. Shows that we have lived and are full of knowledge, wisdom, and life. Now for life, (children, wife, extended family, job,) love and let go, and let God. The mortgage and all the other monetary stress that comes with this life, I'll be calling you soon to share how you can help yourself relieve some of that pressure!

BTW, Someone may be calling you soon to perform for something that's going on at ETSU.

5/12/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I am glad that Mark thinks that grey is good. I am pleased that I have hair whatever the color LOL
Dennis

5/12/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

yes, grey is good!

Grey Power!!!

5/15/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home