Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Eden Calling

I've always been fond of the images that the word "Eden" conjures up in my mind. Sometimes it's a garden, sometimes a forest with trees straight or twisted and a floor clear of undergrowth, sometimes just a quiet peaceful place. The place comes alive in the poetry of John Milton's Paradise Lost:


. . . a circling row
Of goodliest trees loaden with fairest fruit,
Blossoms and fruits at once of golden hue,
Appeared, with gay enameled colors mixed;
On which the sun more glad impressed his beams
Than in fair evening cloud, or humid bow,
When God hath showered the earth: so lovely seemed
That landscape. . . .


When the Cody band was looking for a name years ago, one of us came up with the idea of "Eden Calling." We all loved it, as I recall, but the wife of one of the band members--a sharp-witted smart ass--heard the name and immediately said, "Dingdong," linking our fine name with the slogan for Avon cosmetics--"Dingdong, Avon calling." With our idea tainted so, we ended up sticking with the mundane name "Cody."



Well, Eden has reentered my life in the form of a wonderful new granddaughter. She was born April 18 at around 9:30. Mother and child are doing fine. Big sister Mackenzie and daddy Lane are thrilled. And so, it won't be long before I'll have two girls calling me Granddaddy.


Welcome, Eden!

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Congratulations Grandaddy! My, how old we are becoming. Wasn't it just a few years ago when we recorded Genesis Road right outside of Eden?! I had forgotten that name...twas a good one. Who was the smart ass that made us help your name become a bit more famous?

4/19/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Mrs. KF, a smart and funny woman.

4/20/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Eden is a beautiful name. I have a friend who's newly born granddaughter is also called Eden.

Congratulations!!

4/24/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home