Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Sense of Wonder


This morning I was walking from the parking lot to my office, when off to my right I heard the honk of geese. I looked up and could see a pair of them flying low on a course that would take them almost directly overhead. I watched them as I tend of watch everything in flight and listened to their unlovely chatter.


Several students on their way to an early class were within my field of vision, and I began looking from the geese to them, from them to the geese. The pair passed overhead, no more than 50 feet up and honking, and as far as I could tell not a single student looked up.


Where's their sense of wonder at the world? Or is my taking notice of the geese just another of my personal oddities?


2 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

It is not you. I have noticed in recent years that students do not seem to have a sense of wonder or awe. I thought it was me. But, I do not believe it.... The geese are indeed amazing... There is a goose couple, haven't a clue what that is called, across the street in the neighbors pond... they have come back several years now and have babies.... we are waiting, like proud grandparents, for the new arriavels... the will walk them around, teach them to swim, and then to fly, and then everyone will be gone for another year.... Yep, I wonder in awe at the marvels of the universe. Maybe someday those students will as well....maybe right after the end of the semester when finals are over they will wonder in awe at their grades!!! Cheers Michael, believe me, it is not you, john

4/20/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Give them time. One day it will hit them and they will see the wonder of it all.

4/23/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home