Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Hotel Harrington

On one side, noises in the hall--people walking, running up and down; knocking on doors; talking and calling out names. On the other side, street noise from the intersection of 11th and E, from vehicles small and large, a saxophone echoing up five stories to my window. The Hotel Harrington's room 528 is the usual--bed and bath, TV, tiny desk, shallow closet, small refrigerator with my one bottle of water in it.

I'm in Washington, DC, having driven up from Johnson City today with a cargo of ETSU's University Honors Scholars. Every year the sophomores in the program are given this trip right after the spring semester is finished, and this is my second year to be one of their drivers. We'll stay until Thursday with no agenda whatsoever and then return home.

(I'm watching 24, and in a commercial break a brief news update just reminded me that the Queen of England is in town. And, probably to nobody's surprise, Bush has apparently said something stupid to her.)

I have a project that I'm working on for the Charles Brockden Brown Society, so I'll spend a good bit of my time here working on that. Otherwise, I plan to eat, drink and be merry.

I'll keep you posted.

7 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Hope you have a great time!

5/07/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Glad you arrived safely. I hope there is room for a few beers in that refrigerator!

5/08/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Here is what happened with George yesterday.
At one point Bush fluffed his lines and mentioned a visit paid by Elizabeth to mark the 200th anniversary of the US Declaration of Independence from Britain "in 17 -- in 1976."

After the queen glowered at him, he joked to the laughing audience: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

He has made more news worthy errors

5/08/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Oh, yes, he's made much more mischief before. Still, thanks for filling me in on the latest.

5/08/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Have fun Michael - Dennis and I missed you.... safe travel, john

5/08/2007  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

We had another sunny warm afternoon at the Acoustic Cafe. We (me & John)drank a toast to missing Michael. It will soon be June 12th lets hope for another sunny day.

5/08/2007  
Blogger mac said...

Dennis and John, I missed you guys too. I'll look forward to the 12th of June. I had a beer for you guys after dark, at a restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. Neat place.

5/08/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home