Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Death of HDT


From today's Writer's Almanac:
On this day in 1862, Henry David Thoreau died of tuberculosis. He was 44. His aunt asked him if he was at peace with God. Thoreau said, "I was not aware that we had quarreled." The last clear thing he said was, "Now comes good sailing," and then two words: "moose" and "Indian."

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Thoreau said, "I was not aware that we had quarreled."

Now that is a great line!

5/06/2008  
Blogger mac said...

And to come up with that on your deathbed!

5/06/2008  
Blogger quig said...

I sure hope I can say that or even anything like that when I am about to die!!! Thanks for sharing that..

5/09/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home