Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Songs of 1972

A friend of mine sent me the link to a site that lists the top 100 pop songs for a lot of different years--according to the old music magazine Cash Box. The number one song the year I was born, 1958, was "Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)" by Domenico Modugno on Decca Records. Oddly enough, this was the favorite song on the bus the summer I toured Europe. Our Italian bus driver Pasquale taught it to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DVi0ugelc

After going through the lists for several years, my favorite year seems to be 1972, at least in part, I think, because this is when I met my wife in the 7th grade. But it was also a great year for music, despite the presence of Donna Fargo's "The Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A." See what I mean:

1. "American Pie" by Don McLean
2. "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan
5. "Without You" by Nilsson
7. "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green
9. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" by Looking Glass
11. "Family Affair" by Sly & the Family Stone
12. "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young
14. "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers
18. "A Horse with no Name" by America
20. "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)" by the Hollies
21. "Back Stabbers" by The O'Jays
22. "I'll Take You There" by The Staple Singers
51. "School's Out" by Alice Cooper
56. "You Don't Mess Around with Jim" by Jim Croce
58. "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" by T. Rex
60. "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent
68. "Everything I Own" by Bread
71. "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago
79. "Respect Yourself" by The Staple Singers
82. "Nights in White Satin" by The Moody Blues
83. "Rocket Man" by Elton John
86. "Anticipation" by Carly Simon
90. "Roundabout" by Yes
92. "Tumbling Dice" by The Rolling Stones
96. "Doctor My Eyes" by Jackson Browne
98. "Take It Easy" by The Eagles
100. "Use Me" by Bill Withers

Look for your favorite year at http://www.tropicalglen.com/index.html.

11 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

67-71! Great years...but of course there are great songs in every year. Hard to say which one means the most.
Thanks for the link. It was fun remembering songs that I had forgotten.

6/29/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Okay, I'll bite!!! I remember Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)" by Domenico Modugno, I was a sophomore at Cody High School in Detroit Michigan - later to be know as MoTown.... I am turning 65 soon and thought I would go back and look up songs popular in 1943.....the listing stops in the 50s......crap - so I googled popular songs in 1943 and came up with this list:
1. Paper Doll - Mills Brothers
2. Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' - Bing Crosby
3. As Time Goes By - Rudy Vallee
4. Oklahoma! - Alfred Drake
5. I've Heard That Song Before - Harry James with Helen Forrest
6. Sentimental Lady - Duke Ellington
7. Don't Get Around Much Anymore - The Ink Spots
8. That Old Black Magic - Glenn Miller
9. Stormy Weather - Lena Horne
10. Taking a Chance on Love - Benny Goodman
11. Sunday, Monday or Always - Bing Crosby
12. Comin In on a Wing and a Prayer - The Song Spinners
13. There Are Such Things - Tommy Dorsey
14. You'll Never Know - Dick Haymes
15. Pistol Packin' Mama - Al Dexter & His Troops
16. I Had The Craziest Dream - Harry James
17. In the Blue of the Evening - Tommy Dorsey
18. Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart - Judy Garland
19. Boogie Woogie - Tommy Dorsey
20. You'd Be So Nice To Come Home to - Dinah Shore
21. Two O'Clock Jump - Harry James
22. Juke Box Saturday Night - Glenn Miller
23. When The Lights Go On Again (All Over The World) - Vaughn Monroe
24. People Will Say We're in Love - Bing Crosby
25. Praise The Lord and Pass the Ammunition - Kay Kyser
26. You'll Never Know - Frank Sinatra
27. Artistry In Rhythm - Stan Kenton
28. There's A Star Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere - Jimmy Wakely
29. Don't Cry, Baby - Erskine Hawkins
30. Perdido - Duke Ellington
31. People Will Say We're in Love - Frank Sinatra
32. Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Duke Ellington
33. Let's Get Lost - Vaughn Monroe
34. Mister Five By Five - Harry James
35. Moonlight Becomes You - Bing Crosby
36. All for You - King Cole Trio
37. Why Don't You Do Right - by Benny Goodman
38. I'm Old Fashioned - Fred Astaire
39. Brazil - Xavier Cugat
40. Shoo-Shoo Baby - Ella Mae Morse

There are some great songs and great singers on that list... thanks for the trip down memory list....

6/30/2008  
Blogger mac said...

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"--that could probably be a big revival hit today!

6/30/2008  
Blogger mac said...

You're right, Mark, especially about '68, '69 and '70!

6/30/2008  
Blogger Bo said...

The song list from the 40's brought back childhood memories of my dad singing some of those songs while he played his guitar. I took care of dad the last couple of years of his life and what really made him the happiest was listening to the compilation albums of songs from that era. This memory is both sanguine and bittersweet.

6/30/2008  
Blogger mac said...

YoBo, isn't music amazing!

6/30/2008  
Blogger quig said...

I decided to let nostalgia trump grading and went to the Internet and found all of the songs in my 1943 play list and downloaded them ($.99 each) and created a play list in my iTunes and then created a two set CD.... I am now listening to number #30 Perdido...... no, #31, People Will Say We're In Love....Frank Sinatra.... I am grading too, what a wonderful afternoon....the songs are better than the grades... Cheers...

6/30/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Way to go, John! That sounds like an almost great afternoon--the "almost" is, of course, detemined by the act of grading.

6/30/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Just to let you know, what YoBo means in Korean is Wife.

Way to go John. Sounds like you have a great list of songs!

6/30/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
I went though every year and knew many of the songs, but the biggest surprise was "only Sixteen" showing up in 1976! I remembered that song from my late teens. I checked and a guy called Craig Douglas recorded it in September 1959. It brought back memories of lost loves!
Dennis

6/30/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

One last comment, nearly all the songs that John Q listed where the songs that I was forced to listen to before Rock n roll. My Dad would be excited by John's list.
Dennis

6/30/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home