Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Cable Man Say,

The wisdom of Larry the cable guy......

1. A day without sunshine is like night.
2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
6. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.
9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
11. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
12. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
13. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.
14. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
15. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
16. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
17. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
18. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
19. What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
20. Why do psychics have to ask you your name?
21. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, 'What the heck happened?'
22. Just remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
23. Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

This list was sent to me by one of my former professors at Western Carolina University. I'm not normally a fan of Larry the Cable Guy (or Joe the Plumber or Wendy the Waitress or Mott the Hoople), but I thought these would serve as a nice break after the long intensity of the Inauguration experience in Washington, DC.

3 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Cute...I sent the list to Tom. I know he'll get a kick out of it!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Glad you had that opportunity.

2/05/2009  
Blogger quig said...

and what an adventure it was - I did truly feel as if I was walking/riding with you.. Yes indeed, thanks for sharing.

2/06/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I loved it also Michael. I have had the pleasure of visiting DC twice in my life and did find it very inspiring.

2/06/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home