Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Inaugural Seminar

In 1793, George Washington gave the shortest Inauguration speech ever: 135 words.

In 1801, Thomas Jefferson was inaugurated at an indoor ceremony and then walked to the boarding house where he was staying and stood in line for supper.

In 1841, William Henry Harrison gave the longest Inauguration speech ever: 8,444 words. He stood in the rain and wet of an early March day without hat or overcoat. A month later he died of pneumonia.

Don's Johns (http://www.donsjohns.com/) has the sanitation contract for the upcoming Obama Inauguration. In the area between the Capitol building and the Lincoln Memorial, the first suggestion was that they have 1 potty for every 1,000 people. Then they thought about 1 for every 5,000 people. With the high estimate being up to 4.3 million people, how many potties might that be? (I'm not interested in doing the math right now.)


We took a bus tour of DC sites in the afternoon--the Iwo Jima Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial (with the Vietnam Memorial and Korean Memorial), the World War II Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial and the FDR Memorial. I got off the bus at the Lincoln, the Jefferson and the FDR, the last two of which I hadn't seen.


All are beautiful and moving. The FDR is amazing. Check out these quotes that are inscribed in the stone throughout this impressive structure: http://www.nps.gov/fdrm/memorial/inscript.htm


Read these words. I can't help but wonder if any of our presidents in the last 40 years have had these kinds of thoughts.

5 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

I'd say Don's Johns is going to be a bit busy with all that $#&$!

One day I would like to get to Washington and see all the sites. I've only passed through there on the way to somewhere else.

Great quotes from FDR. Wasn't he the one that started the welfare system?

1/12/2009  
Blogger quig said...

DC, my birth place, is indeed a wonderful place to visit. I have not been there in a long time, before the Vietnam Memorial was built. I am enjoying MC's postings. Thank you, john

1/12/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I have been to DC twice and absolutely loved it. However, I seem to favor the past history than the present. I hope it will change soon.

1/12/2009  
Anonymous ed pills online said...

I pay a quick visit every day some sites and sites to read content, however this web site presents feature based writing.

11/25/2020  
Anonymous best ed pills said...

Can I simply say what a relief to uncover somebody who actually understands what they're discussing on the net. You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people have to read this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you're not more popular since you surely have the gift.

11/25/2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home