Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

"God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen"

One of my favorite songs heard at this time of year is this one played by Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull fame) in a handsome little video found on YouTube. I've been curious of late, however, because of having seen some differences in the printed title of the song. The title phrase demands a comma, although many texts use no comma (which is incorrect).

I've alway thought of it this way--God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen. The comma placed after Ye suggests that the Gentlemen are Merry--they are Merry Gentlemen--and the song wishes them Rest. It makes sense. These Merry Gentlemen couldn't Rest if they were dismayed (i.e., "let nothing you dismay").

But recently I saw it written with the comma after Merry--God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. While not creating a totally different meaning, this leads to important differences. According to Martin DeMello, this is the original version. Now in our current lingo, God Rest Ye Merry doesn't make a lot of sense. DeMello, however, suggests that in English usage at the time the song was composed, Rest could also be used for "keep." So, the line would be wishing somebody happiness--God Keep Ye Merry, Gentlemen.

So, in this wonderful and difficult season, in this wonderful and difficult world, God rest ye merry, bloggers.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

That was awesome...no matter where you put the comma!

12/27/2008  
Blogger quig said...

beautiful!!! brought a smile to my face!!! Peace to you and good rest as well.....

12/28/2008  
Blogger Bo said...

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

12/29/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful video. Anderson can defintely still "get it up",
( his LEG, you naughty people, the hopping about on one leg was one of the classic Tull moves ) and sure brought a smile to my face. Great stuff, by the by, having always thought of the comma in the traditional place after "Ye", I really appreciate the different inference by having it say, "God rest ye merry" Sounds right to me. Happy New Year, may ye and yers be blessed, and may all your days be bright.

1/06/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home