Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Straw Poll

My colleague, Frosty Levy, suggested that we do some political work with our large honors colloquium group—composed of over 100 University Honors Scholars, Midway Honors Scholars (transfers) and Fine & Performing Arts Honors Scholars. I divided them into six groups, to reflect the main six candidates represented on the presidential ballot in Tennessee. The groups had an online discussion board to use, and last Tuesday (the 21st) the students met in their groups to put together presentations on the six candidates and their parties. The presentations took place yesterday evening (the 28th), and afterwards a straw vote was taken. Frosty moderated the presentation and composed the following summary comments.

The Honors College Colloquium held a Presidential Candidates Forum that was followed by a straw vote. Students, divided into six groups representing the full range of candidates on the Tennessee ballot, spend two weeks examining the positions of the candidates on the Economy, the War on Terror, and the Environment. They learned that the vice Presidential candidate for the Constitution Party is a Kingsport native and an ETSU graduate.

Poll results were:

Chuck Baldwin (Constitution) 3 (2.9%)
Bob Barr (Libertarian) 2 (1.9%)
John McCain (Republican) 43 (41.0%)
Cynthia McKinney (Green) 1 (1.0%)
Ralph Nader (Independent) 7 (6.7%)
Barak Obama (Democratic) 49 (46.7%)
In addition, 11% of voters changed their mind after having learned more about all of the candidates.


Frosty Levy
Professor of Biology
and
Director, Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities
Honors College

5 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

sad day at ETSU. Go Chucky!

10/29/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Give me a break! That was an incredibly great exercise!!! I am certainly glad the the honors students are learning to think. Way to go Michael!!!

10/30/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

I agree John. It was an excellent exercise and I wish every American would follow the lead in doing this.I know I spent months doing the exercise.
What was sad to me is that after looking at the policies, O & M still had the majority. Since this was not a real vote, my hope was to see our young people would refuse the tradition that there are only 2 parties and look at who they could look to to really bring change or bring about what is truly best for the nation.

10/30/2008  
Blogger mac said...

I'm afraid that our political culture's emphasis on the two-party system--to the obvious exclusion of real democratic values--both obscures and marginalizes the political "other" of whatever stripe. American political minds are overwhelmed by the two-party tradition (as it has developed) to the extent that we are taught to believe that a vote for anybody but a Republican or Democrat is thrown away. Certainly this situation could still be overcome, but it would take some things that I'm afraid are no longer possible for us: the opening of the American mind, the reversing of we-they conflict thinking and living, the eliminating of greed (for money, power, influence, winning, being right), the believing--truly believing--in God.

10/30/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

I believe! Go Chucky!

Scripture does teach us that one day the world (this physical place) will be filled with the glory of God! The lion will lay with the lamb, and the nations will come together and worship the King. And yes...I believe that too. I pray that this generation will get to see it happen.

10/30/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home