Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, September 19, 2008

The Dead Zone

Well. Friday afternoon. My brain is a dead zone after this rough week. Or maybe it's been a rough two or three weeks. I keep waiting for the dust raised by the beginning of the semester to settle, but this thing or that keeps stirring it up.

This morning I came to campus feeling fairly fresh and energized. I skipped going to the office in the Honors House, opting instead for the seclusion offered by my office in the English building. My thought was that I would be creative today, try to accomplish something. Anything.

But nothing happened. Necessary stuff kept pulling at my attention from the moment I walked in. The office was quiet, as I knew it would be, but I made the foolish mistake of opening the door and signing in to email and answering the telephone. Now it's suddenly 3:00 in the afternoon--Dead Zone Daylight Savings Time.

So, what to do? I think I'll sit and snooze over a novel for an hour or two and then join some colleagues at the Acoustic Coffeehouse for a beer or two. That ought to wrap up Friday in the Dead Zone quite nicely.

My best to you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Have one for me!

9/19/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Hope your brain came back from the dead zone. You may need it this week.

9/23/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Almost a whole week has passed - has it been better? Are you having another refresher course on relaxation tomorrow? I am with Mark - hope you come back from the "dead zone." Cheers, john

9/25/2008  
Blogger mac said...

This week has been somewhat better as far as the office goes. I come to Friday afternoon with more of a mind left than a week ago at this time. Of course, with the rumbling and crumbling going on in this wonderful economy of ours I'm not sure if I'd rather be sharper or duller.

9/26/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home