Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gigging


Last night, the 18th, I did something I haven't done in a good while--I played a gig. This took place on the patio at the Link Hills Country Club in Greeneville. Just for fun, here's my set list for the two-set performance.

1

O Danny Boy (solo flute)
Somebody, Somewhere
I'm a Believer
The Way It Is
Good Ole Boys Like Me
Dizzy from the Distance
Blondie Goes Latin
Tuesday's Gone
Brandy
The Jaws of Modern Romance
No Surrender
Wayfaring Stranger (flute & vocal)
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
Get Together

2

Jamboree
The Sound of Silence
Ready for the Storm
Put a Little Love in Your Heart
Best I've Ever Seen
Thunder & Lightning
Let My Love Open the Door
Peaceful, Easy Feeling
Radar Love
Genesis Road
None But the Lonely Heart
Pretty Amazing Grace
Homecoming
Empty Islands

That last song is one that I wrote back in the 1980s, but only a handful of people have ever heard it. I think it's a powerful piece of work--intense and personal. When I played it last night at the end of "the show" only my wife and a friend remained, as the last of the patio dinner crowd had departed after "Pretty Amazing Grace."

4 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
Wow, that list has me feeling jealous. I hope the audience appreciated all those songs. I know Leesa did and I am sure I would have.
Dennis

7/19/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

glad you're singing bro. Keep doing it.

7/20/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Dennis, I would've enjoyed having you and Marie there to counterbalance some of the country clubbers in attendance!

David and Angee were present, which was good.

7/20/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Great list of songs - I know the praise band is doing the WNL opening in September and hope that you will have a large, very large, part in it... maybe you can insert that last song for a large crowd of people to listen to!!!

7/24/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home