Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Sublime


Sublime—a: lofty, grand, or exalted in thought, expression, or manner b: of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth c: tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality (as of beauty, nobility, or grandeur) or transcendent excellence

The word "sublime" was also used slightly differently in literary circles in England (and Europe) during the 18th and 19th centuries. To the description above was added a notion of terrible or fearsome. So, something was sublime if it was both beautiful and dangerous. For example, the Alps were considered sublime because they were at once beautiful and picturesque mountains and dangerous—a place of landslides and avalanches, a place of getting lost or falling to one's death or freezing. You get the idea.

This evening I went walking in the park at dusk, and by the time I was finished with a couple of laps, night was nearly upon me.

A storm dropping heavy rain had passed through only half an hour before, but the western sky opened up just for the last moments of the setting sun. Birds of many kinds were singing in the trees all around the park or grabbing snacks out of the grass or drinking from newly formed pools. Water trickled and gurgled in the grass and dripped from the trees. For a time in the second half of my first lap, a cool drizzle danced on these storm pools and the frog pond. In the distance, the mountains to the south—toward North Carolina—were wreathed in mist.

As I began my second lap, the green in the trees began to grow black with shadows. The sun was down, and the light of day was fading fast. The songs of the birds slowly faded as the singers went to roost. The bellowing of the bullfrogs in the marshy rim of the pond took over.

Johnson City hummed beyond the dog run, beyond the trees to the east. The occasional car or truck passed the upper and lower entrances to the park, but none turned in at the gates.

I was alone in the park.

So, the birds grew quiet, the bullfrogs haunted the pond and darkness fell, lending a sublime quality to the place where I walked.

Admittedly, I have a vivid imagination. I could easily imagine how the beautiful evening could turn dangerous. As I walked through the section bordering the pond, a section in which the sides of the trail seem to close in and become almost like a tunnel, images came to mind of highwaymen and wild beasts. I could picture myself as I might appear to some watcher in the woods, be it human or inhuman. Creepy stuff! I could feel the hairs on arms and legs and the back of my neck responding, the goose flesh. My imagination is quite convincing at times.

Then again, we constantly hear on the news of all sorts of violence befalling people who put themselves in potentially dangerous situations, such as walking alone in a park at night.

I'm safe at home now and ready for bed and sweet dreams.

11 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Very sagacious of you to get your butt home!

7/14/2008  
Blogger mac said...

I agree. The evening was beautiful but might just as easily have been enjoyed from our back patio!

7/14/2008  
Blogger quig said...

beautiful Michael... thank you!!

7/16/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Happy birthday, John! I hope you're having a good time with family and friends. Bo and I met for breakfast this morning, just so Beasley's wouldn't think the world had come to an end.

7/16/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Hey Michael, Thank you and it is good you met for breakfast..I would not want Beasley's to crash...

7/17/2008  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

OK, I must ask, that picture looks familiar, where did you get it???

7/17/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Sorry, Ruth, I don't know where the picture was taken. It's just one that I found on the Internet and liked.

7/18/2008  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

ok..it just looks so similar to a pic Dennis took.

7/18/2008  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/18/2008  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

It is Dennis' picture taken at fish lake in Maple Grove, MN. Marie

7/18/2008  
Blogger mac said...

Ah, I'd forgotten! Good eye, Ruth!Great picture, Dennis!

7/18/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home