Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Baseball Stuff

I'm not a big baseball fan. I enjoy going to a game now and then, generally for one of two reasons: first, if the son of a friend of mine is playing, I'm interested; second, just for the novelty of a now-and-then experience. Below are a couple of baseball things that crossed my field of vision in the last couple of days.

Here's a wonderful little video one of my White Water Band mates sent out via email yesterday. You'll see a talented athlete performing an amazing stunt and a pretty girl. Best of all, the athlete and the pretty girl are one and the same. So, check out this catch!


The following poem appeared as part of today's Writer's Almanac. It's by Donald Hall, from his book White Apples and the Taste of Stone (2006). The picture it paints is a poignant contrast to that in the video. I see myself in this old outfielder much more readily than anywhere near the ballgirl.

Old Timers' Day

When the tall puffy
figure wearing number
nine starts
late for the fly ball,
laboring forward
like a lame truckhorse
startled by a gartersnake,
—this old fellow
whose body we remember
as sleek and nervous
as a filly's—

and barely catches it
in his glove's
tip, we rise
and applaud weeping:
On a green field
we observe the ruin
of even the bravest
body, as Odysseus
wept to glimpse
among shades the shadow
of Achilles.

4 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

No longer am I able to climb the wall, I am more like the old fart in the poem.....

7/08/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Loved them both. But this line...

"On a green field
we observe the ruin
of even the bravest
body, as Odysseus
wept to glimpse
among shades the shadow
of Achilles."

7/08/2008  
Blogger mac said...

So, do you love that line or hate it (or both)? I'm rather partial to it myself. In fact, I think it's absolutely beautiful.

By the way, the video is probably at least partly a hoax. That's too bad, but it's still fun to watch.

7/08/2008  
Blogger nbta said...

Sadly loved the line!

My son told me it was a hoax when I showed it to him...but we kept watching it and came to the decision that we didn't care if it was! It's a great video.

7/09/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home