Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Rain on the River

On my last entry, a comment from an anonymous source mentioned "Rain on the River." It's a song that I've tended to slight over the years, and I don't know why. A few days ago I was mowing my yard for what I hope will be the last mowing of the season. "Rain on the River" came pouring through the headphones at one point, and as I walked along behind the mower, I took a fresh listen to the song—to the lyric and the music. It's a solid piece of work, if I do say so myself. Unfortunately I don't have the mp3 uploaded anywhere than I can link to, but here's the lyric.


 


 

Rain on the River


 

So you stand there in the doorway,

Watching me through the screen.

I'm kicking rocks out of the driveway

With my back to the space between.

From an open window,

A radio rides the breeze,

And the song fades in and out

Just like some bittersweet memories.

We are tense and silent

Here waiting for the storm.

It come thundering around and around

Until it breaks to the distant aching sound of rain . . .

Rain on the river.

 
 

We were young hearts doing hard time,

Living under the gun.

What we saw as a chance for freedom

Turned to a life out on the run.

Now we've taken to drawing hard lines

For two such fragile souls.

What we once at least held steady

Is now spinning out of control.

The struggle outside the front door

Even follows us to our bed,

And the nights that used to steam

Are mostly desert and a haunting dream of rain . . .

Rain on the river.

 
 

It's a river of pain and laughter,

Of life and love so sweet,

Running with tears and wine and blood,

From a trickle to a flood in a heartbeat.

 
 

So I stand here in the darkness

While the latest rage subsides,

And the rain just keeps on falling,

And the river runs deep and wide.

The storm will leave us stronger

Than we were before it came,

In a channel of safe passage,

On a tide of forgiveness and grace.

Then you tenderly touch my shoulder,

And I turn to your embrace,

Then I lie awake till dawn

To hear your breathing like the peaceful song of rain . . .

Rain on the river.

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

Yes...a great work! I always loved playing that one.

11/14/2008  
Blogger quig said...

Thanks for the song.... hope there is no more mowing...

11/19/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home