Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Year That Was

A 19th-century poem from Walt Whitman. I don't know what year he was writing about, but I imagine it could be most any year. I think it fits 2008 quite well:

Year that trembled and reel'd beneath me!
Your summer wind was warm enough, yet the air I breathed froze me,
A thick gloom fell through the sunshine and darken'd me,
Must I change my triumphant songs? said I to myself,
Must I indeed learn to chant the cold dirges of the baffled?
And sullen hymns of defeat?


http://www.princeton.edu/~batke/logr/log_158.html

One year in 40+ seconds


2 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
That is a cool video, thanks for sharing.
Dennis

1/02/2009  
Blogger quig said...

Hey Michael - Nice video, thanks for sharing it... as it happened, I was listening to "Make it Nice," Marks song, and it was an interesting, peaceful, combination!!! A double shot of a good, really good, thing!!! Peace in the new year, john

1/03/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home