Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Presidential Inauguration Seminar

I'm not sure if I want to call this "Day One" or "Prologue." I woke up on Johnson City this morning, packed quickly, picked up a couple of ETSU students participating in the seminar and drove to Washington, DC. Well, to Rockville, Maryland, actually--that's where I'm staying, at least.

The Presidential Inauguration Seminar--This is offered through a group called The Washington Center (www.twc.edu). The schedule goes roughly as follows--from 8:30 to around noon, all faculty leaders--some 60 of us--and all seminar students--some 700 of them--attend large lecture-hall presentations and Q&A sessions near the seats of power in DC. After that, we break for lunch, meet with our small groups--a number of students and a faculty leader--and visit various predetermined sites around the city and the system. We have some special events and some rather famous presenters.

The Students--I have 10 students in my small group. Four of them are from ETSU (although one of these is a foreign exchange student from Sweden). Three more are from other schools in Tennessee--two from Martin Methodist College in Pulaski, one from Belmont University in Nashville. Then I have two students from Micronesia (look it up--I did) and one from Guam.

Faculty Leader--I accompany the students around town to the site visits, lead discussions of our textbook (Michael Genovese's Memo to the New President), large group experiences and site visits.

Rockville, Maryland--I'm staying in the Fenestra Apartments in Rockville's new Town Centre. Nice place, but a little noisy at night. Four of us--all faculty leaders--are sharing a two-bedroom-two-bath apartment. We've had one hour of sitting around together watching Arizona beat Carolina. They seem like good fellows.

Tomorrow we're off to the races. Although I'd rather be in church, I'll be getting into the seminar all morning, followed by small group meetings and a bus tour of DC.

More tomorrow night, I hope.

4 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

hey Michael, glad you made it okay... it sure sounds like an exciting adventure (except for the living arrangements)... I believe that being in DC for this inauguration could be the trip of a lifetime.. I know you will soak in all of it and share it with us.

We will miss you this morning and on Tuesday and lift our glasses in your honor.

Peace, john

1/11/2009  
Blogger quig said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/11/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Just think, your are going to be a part of history!! awesome.

1/11/2009  
Blogger nbta said...

Have a great time! We'll be looking forward to your writing during this...in other words, you'd better write and let us know what's going on! Bless you brother!

1/11/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home