Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bermuda

Much of the traveling I do these days is to conferences--mostly literary conferences, now and then an honors conference. Usually I make these trips alone, but when I had a paper accepted for the Society of Early Americanist's 6th Biennial Conference in Hamilton, Bermuda, I decided to take the family.

After several false starts and backtrackings, we finally left Johnson City at around 7:30 on Tuesday night. Because this trip is to be followed up by three nights in Charleston (our annual vacation) we decided to drive to Atlanta and fly out of there. So, after a long drive through the night, we arrived in Atlanta a little after midnight.

On Wednesday morning we got up and took a shuttle from the motel to the airport. We made it through security and found our gate and settled down to wait.

Then my son made a bad discovery. Somewhere between the security area and the gate, a distance of little more than 100 yards, he lost his passport. He wouldn't be able to get into Bermuda without it, so we walked up and down the concourse, asking all the shopkeepers, security and airport personnel. Nobody had found it. The Delta folks announced boarding in 30 minutes, and we still had no passport. The search continued. I got on the telephone with Delta to find out if I could get refunds on our mucho dinero flight tickets, and while I was talking to them--while the plane was boarding--my wife and son showed up with the found passport!

The flight went well.

In Bermuda, we checked in at the conference hotel, the Fairmont Princess in Hamilton. The picture above is from the balcony of our room.

As usual my paper wasn't written when we arrived. My session was Thursday (today) at 1:15, so last night I stayed up late, taking the couple of introductory paragraphs I'd written in Johnson City and expanding them to about 7 pages for my 15-page presentation. I finished at about 1:30 in the morning, slept some, printed the thing out at the hotel's business center, ate lunch with my panel colleagues and participated in the session.

The rest of the week will be made up of listening to papers and cruising around the island.

Nice!

4 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

I bet that was a tense 30 minutes. Next time have mom hold all the passports!

Too great. I hope you guys have a wonderful time and get a deep dark sun tan. As my son always says...we need a little more color in the room!

Be safe and give my love to the family.

3/06/2009  
Blogger mac said...

Mom tried to hold all the passports, but son was stubborn--"I can hold it!"

He learned a lesson.

Probably no tans here. Temps are in the low 60s, and sunshine comes and goes. Still it's a beautiful place.

3/06/2009  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

So glad it all worked out, but is a frighting moment indeed.

3/08/2009  
Blogger quig said...

it wouldn't be any fun if it was all smooth sailing!! Have a great trip Michael (&L&Rtoo)...

3/10/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home