Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Heat Is On

Yesterday, at 2:45, Leesa, Raleigh and I flew out of Johnson City and descended into the Low Country of South Carolina--I think that's what it's called. I waved at Columbia, where studies at the University of South Carlolina earned me my doctorate. At about 8:45 or so we delivered our son into the hands of his youth group leaders and his youth group friends. All seemed so happy to see him. Our pastor and the youth director (his wife) seemed a bit weary but happy, as did the other leaders. The week seems to have gone well so far, and I hope it continues to do so. Leesa and I had to go to Target to pick up some stuff for Raleigh, and two of the youth went along to exchange some stuff they'd bought earlier. We had a nice conversation with the son of our friends, checked out the candle-making that was taking place and then headed out into the night to find our motel--the Red Roof Inn, where we watched a movie late and then slept.

This morning, Leesa went out to find the local Curves and had quite an adventure--she wouldn't use so nice a term! The location closest to our motel was closed, and some other patrons there gave her bad directions to another Mt. Pleasant location. She got lost. Anyway, when she was finally "home" safely, I took a dip in the pool, and then we got ready and checked out.

I could not be so close to the ocean without taking a short look at least, so we drove out to Sullivan's Island. I found a shady place to park, and while Leesa sat in the car, I worked up a powerful sweat walking down the beach access and across the long stretch of sand to stick a toe in the water.

We arrived in Fayetteville at around 5:00, went out to eat with our family here and then sat and watched Capote.

Another day of driving and we'll be home.

2 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Which toe?

7/28/2006  
Blogger mac said...

It was only metaphorically a toe. Actually, I stuck my fingers--right-hand index and middle--into the edge of the tide.

7/28/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home