Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Into the West: Prelude (continued)

The itinerary for my trip is set. More or less. It's a lot of driving, which seems crazy with gas prices like they are, but it'll be nice to see the West again. Although it gets a little squirrly in the middle, here are the basic stops:

8/7--Indianapolis, IN

8/8--Walnut, IA
I chose this stop because it's farther along than Des Moines, and I grew up on Walnut, NC.

8/9--Mitchell, SD
8/10--Chadron, NE
This is where it might get squirrly. Last night I tried calling the South Dakota Codys, and the number that they've always had now belongs to somebody else. I'll go to Mitchell for the night and then drive to Rapid City, to the address where my relatives have lived for years. If they're no longer there, I'll do some asking around to see if I can find out anything about what happened to them. If I find nothing, I'll drive south to Nebraska and stay the night there.

8/11--Denver, CO
8/12--Castle Rock, CO
This night will be spent with Jack York and family. Jack grew up in California, and we met on the European tour twenty-seven years ago. We've been friends ever since.

8/13--Witchita, KS
8/14--Tulsa, OK
8/15--Little Rock, AR
8/16--Nashville, TN
My old stomping grounds where I'll stay with my friend Mark Chesshir and his family.

8/17--Home (happily! by then, I'm sure)


242.6 NWT

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

sounds like a fun trip and sure hope you do find your relatives.

7/21/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

WOW, sounds like a lot of miles! Be safe!

7/21/2006  
Blogger zokc said...

I've always had a thing for driving trips - nothing like chewing up the miles.

During my first solo voyage, I purchased "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. It has accompanied me on every trip since.

Thanks much for the comment.

7/23/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home