Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Monday, July 17, 2006

We'll Leave the Light on for You?

I'm sleepy and on the verge of heading off to bed, but I thought I'd write just a bit before I go. This evening I've been trying to map out a trip I'm planning for 7-17 August. It's my time away for this year, and I've decided to go on something of a family mission trip to Rapid City, South Dakota.

Unfortunately, I've picked the worst time to visit the Black Hills of Dakota. Up the road from Rapid City, in Sturgis, the 6th through the 13th (roughly) is the time of the Rock & Rally (or something like that). It's a big motorcycle event and concert. And it must really be BIG! The hotels are practically booked up in a 100 mile radius (or so it seems), and the rooms are being sold at ridiculous prices. For example, other than a couple of $250 per night rooms in Rapid City, the closest opening I found for a person traveling west on I-70 was at the Motel 6 in famous Wall, South Dakota, and that room was going for $130 per night--a Motel 6!

I'll probably write later about the potential family difficulties involved in this trip. Suffice it to say for now that as I currently have the trip planned, I'll have to pull up short in Mitchell, South Dakota, on Wednesday, 9 August, hit Rapid City in the middle of the day on the 10th and then proceed to Chadron, Nebraska, for that night.

I've had enough of playing travel agent to myself for one night, so ho-ho-ho-hum it's off to bed for me. (Sing that last bit to the "pirate's life" tune.)


247 NWT

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

Oh my...you really DID pick the worst week to go to the Black Hills. The Sturgis Bike Rally is the ultimate in bike rallys..Every biker in the USA will be there. GOOD LUCK.

7/18/2006  
Blogger quig said...

at those prices, they better leave the light on!!

7/18/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

If you are going to Mitchell, SD don't miss out on the Corn Palace. There is also a good Auto museum at Murdo, which is along I90 before you get to Wall. Then again I bet you have already been to these places and from the times and dates you listed it sounds like you will be driving all the time anyway!

7/18/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home