Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Into the West - First Report

When I was drawing up the itinerary for this trip into the West, I decided that after my first night in Indianapolis, Indiana, I wanted to travel a little further than Des Moines, Iowa, on day two, but not so far as Sioux Falls, South Dakota. So, I looked on the map of Iowa, tracing my finger along I-80, which cuts straight across the midsection of the state. About four inches west of Des Moines, my finger pointed to the small town of Walnut, Iowa. I grew up in Walnut, North Carolina, so my choice was made. I got on the Internet and found out that Walnut, Iowa, is famous for antiques and that it had at least one motel to serve all those hunters of the antique and collectible in west central Iowa. It is thus that I write this morning from the Walnut Super 8.

On Monday morning, I kissed my wife good-bye and drove my son to school. After a brief stop by my office, I hit the road. Normally I like to travel the blue highways, the two-lanes and such that show me a world different from that available to travelers of the interstates, but I have a need for speed on this trip. So, I took I-26 to I-81 to I-75 to I-74. I rolled along with a good bit of energy that morning, not stopping for lunch until around 1:00—Steak 'n' Shake in Georgetown, Kentucky.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:30 that afternoon, I crossed the Ohio River. I never do so without thinking of slaves like Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs—although he was in Maryland and she in North Carolina—and fictional Sethe, from Toni Morrison's novel Beloved. I was almost across the river before I knew it, in a matter of seconds, really, riding high above the wide water on a bridge of steel and concrete and passing from one state into another (Kentucky into Indiana on I-275, I think). I try to picture a slave, worn, weather-beaten and terrified, coming alone through the Kentucky woods to stand on the southern bank of the Ohio. Hopefulness and hopelessness must have blended strongly as he or she looked across the river and saw not just another state and not just the passage from South to North but freedom. The picture is dark and emotional, but I never try to avoid it.

My drive from Indianapolis to Walnut was fairly uneventful, except for four moments worth mentioning. First, when I stopped for gas in Bloomington, Illinois, I realized that a fill-up was costing me about as much as my lodging for the night. At the Motel 6 I paid $41.39 and at Super 8 $48.03; at the pump I paid $40.05.

Second, I crossed the Mississippi River, which, for me, is a different experience from that of crossing the Ohio. The Mississippi represents the passage from the East, in which I've always lived, into West, to which I have a romantic attachment. I don't think of the West as the place of cowboys and Indians or as the scene of the grand and difficult and dark struggle to tame a continent, although I'm sure these things play into my feelings. I'm drawn to its wide open spaces and its rugged mountains, both so different from the Appalachian mountains where I grew up.

Third, when I was on the job market, looking for a teaching position, I got some brief but exciting interest—any interest was exciting at the time—from Grinnell College, a fine liberal arts school in Grinnell, Iowa. Sometime around 6:30 in the evening, I came upon the I-80 exit for Grinnell. I was looking for a Subway and one was listed for the exit. Passing the Subway in a gas station by I-80, I drove into town and found the campus, which was bigger than I had imagined. It was a beautiful place—quiet streets, well landscaped yards and walkways, interesting buildings. Sitting and eating supper at another Subway just down the street from campus, I couldn't help wonder what living there would be like. Nice to think about, I guess, but I couldn't imagine it being better than what I have in Tennessee.

Fourth and final, I got lost in Des Moines. Not lost, really, but off track. I was listening to an unabridged recording of David McCullough's 1776 and thinking this and that when I suddenly noticed a sign telling me that I was on I-35 and that I was so many miles from Kansas City. I was supposed to be on I-80 and so many miles from Council Bluffs. When the next exit finally came, I took out my map and found that I could take a couple of my beloved blue highways and get back on track. At the exit, I took Highway 92 west about 14 miles and then US Highway 169 north about 13 miles. Then I was back on I-80 and heading for Walnut, having lost only 30 minutes or so in the ordeal.

Yesterday's drive from Indianapolis to Walnut was over 500 miles and took me from around 10:00 in the morning until 9:30 in the evening, all stopping included. A time change from Eastern to Central was involved in there somewhere as well. Today's drive will be much easier. Because I couldn't find a place any closer to Rapid City, South Dakota, than Mitchell, I'm looking about around 260 miles and some four hours of driving.

As Peewee Herman and others have said, "That ol' highway's a-callin'!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth W. said...

So glad your safe and enjoying your adventure. I am totally enjoying your blog!! Keep it up. I have always loved travelogs. Oh, and I'm sure you know Marie is from Grinnell..Even I have been there..lol

8/09/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
As you can see from Ruth's blog Grinnell is a second home to the Cope family. Marie will write more about growing up in a small town not far from Grinnell. Marie's brother Larry worked for Grinnell College for many years before he moved to Florida and lastly US Highway 169 goes North into Minnesota, in fact we lived about 2 miles fro 169 for 18 years! Small world! Dennis

8/09/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I couldn't believe it when you mentioned Grinnell, IA. I was born in Grinnell and grew up in a small town around Grinnell. It is a great town. My mom lives there now. You could have stopped by for supper with her. Marie

8/09/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Hi Michael - not that it matters, but I am with you on the call of the open spaces....in 1948 I lived on the edge of the prarie in west Tesas.... in the late 50s I was in Colorado Springs for the Boy Scout Jamboree, I have visited the Grand Canyon and in 1961 I drove my sister and here then 3 childern from Detroit to Seattle - through all those northern western states. It is different than anywhere in the east... God bless you on your journey - and stay away from Sturgis this weekend....cheers

8/09/2006  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

$40.00 for a tank of gas! I have been away a long time.

8/10/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home