Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, July 28, 2006

A Poem (from a non-poet)

Morning in Fayetteville

Is this the way it is
in the war-torn countries of the world?
An old man sits and reads an old book.
Women talk of the day and its work.
A child plays with toy ponies on the floor.
The old man looks up, listens and turns a page.

A breeze sings softly in the chimes.
And beyond the woods out back,
somewhere--not far away--beneath the blue sky
artillery rumbles.
The glass in the windows rattles,
and a family picture falls from the wall.

4 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

I would say a gifted poet - and yep, as I watch the news, that seems to be the way it is... have a great day...

7/29/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks, Q. Have a great day yourself!

7/29/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Your writings made me think of the French revolution and the women kniting while heads were cut off. See you tomorrow.

7/29/2006  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

great poem Michael..all we can do is pray for peace and live the good life we have as well as we can, for we are truly blessed.

7/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home