Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

My Favorite Picture (Oddly Enough)

This rather plain (pun intended) picture of South Dakota--another picture taken one-handed from a car traveling at least 75 mph--might be my favorite out of the whole batch. I like the sense of great distance in the landscape, in the midst of which, although it's in the upper right-hand portion of the photo, is a place where somebody has claimed and created a place to live--a place claimed and created and painted red! That's bold!

I also like the way the land in the background rises and has such a gentle meeting with the sky. The horizon isn't etched sharply against that blue backdrop like the more jagged portions of the Badlands (not far from where this was taken) or the Rocky Mountains.

Today was given over mostly to church-related activities. Several of my friends I sort of spent the day with, even though we weren't always directly keeping company together. Some of us were at church together at 8:00 for opening the doors and rehearsing the band, at 9:00 for Arise!, at 10:00 for Sunday School, at 11:00 for worship, at 3:00 for Cherokee Finances 101 and across the street at Tipton-Haynes for a 5:00 meeting with the youth and their leaders and families. 'Twas a good day full of good people and Emmanuel.

Between the 11:00 service and the 3:00 meeting, I went to a Mexican restaurant--El Torito--and somehow managed to order something other than huevos rancheros! Today was a day for fish tacos. Yummmmmm. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home