Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Into the West -- Second Report (Same Day)

Because I expect tomorrow (Thursday, I think) to be hectic, here's a look back at today.

After some early morning blogging, I went out and did my five-mile walk-run. Although the midsection of Iowa is not generally as flat as those of Indiana and Illinois, Iowa being more a more rolling landscape, the roads are as straight as they are in flatter country. I left the Super 8 and got on the highway. After I crossed over I-80, I traveled a mile or so into Walnut, passing through a residential area before entering the little downtown area. The road led me straight through downtown and right out the other side, and I continued on another mile or so before turning and heading back.

Back at the Super 8, I cooled down a little bit and then showered and checked out. By the time I'd filled up the car, it was nearly 11:30, so I decided to go have lunch in Walnut. On my walk-run I'd seen a place called Aunt B's Kitchen, which looked interesting. It was. When I walked in, I was told to sit wherever I wanted and that the special was taco salad. I ordered the special, which turned out to be interesting but maybe not so special. It came in a bowl (not edible) that was perhaps slightly larger than the side salad. I had my basic salad ingredients--mostly lettuce carrot shavings (or whatever they're called)--laid over a handful of out-of-the-bag tortilla chips. Broken over top of this was a hamburger patty, which was topped with some shredded white cheese of some sort. A little cup of salsa and a little dab of sour cream came on the side. The first thing I did when I began trying to eat this was accidentally dump a portion of it out onto the table. The tortilla chips on the bottom don't get much traction on the bowl, and they slide around beneath the fork and push other things out. As I was leaving, a woman trying to eat the same dish at a table near mine asked for a plate to dump everything out on, saying that she couldn't eat it out of the bowl.

Walnut (pop. 897) is largely antique stores of various kinds, some seeming neat and clean and orderly, others seeming a jumbled mess. I went into only one, the latter type, and walked through without seeing anybody. I could hear voices upstairs, but because I'd been drawn in by the promise of "old books,"I followed signs that led me to the bookshelves in the basement. Nothing jumped out at me, and I quickly realized that the books were subject to so much humidity that they wouldn't have much value. So, I went back upstairs and out the door, still seeing nobody.

I drove I-80 to I-29 to I-90. The west coast of Iowa is my favorite part of the state. As you travel north up I-29 toward Sioux City, Iowa, the Missouri River is somewhere off to your left (west). The river plain (bottom, as we call it in regards to mountain creeks) through which you're traveling is flat as can be off to your left and your right (east). In the distance to the east is a low stand of rugged bluffs that begin to give the feel of the real West. I wanted badly to stop and explore Sioux City, but this trip doesn't allow that kind of time.

Tonight I'm in Mitchell, South Dakota, at another Motel 6. I checked in and even before going to the room, I went back along I-90 two miles to Mitchell's main food exit. Wanting something I couldn't get everywhere, I was disappointed to find that my quick search yielded mostly chain stuff. I finally decided on a restaurant called Twin Dragons. The pork potstickers and the Chinese beer were great, but the main dish I ordered--crispy steak cubes--was fairly disappointing. Back at the motel, I did a little workout and hit the pool for a few minutes, then talked to my wife and son. And now here I am.

Again, I expect tomorrow to be hectic and somewhat strange. It's my day devoted to seeing what's up with my aunt and cousin. I don't know if I'll find them or not. And if I do find them, I don't know what kind of shape they'll be in. Also, because I wasn't able to attend my uncle's funeral when he died in 1997 (or thereabouts), I wanted to visit his gravesite. Unfortunately, however, that's in Sturgis, and I'm not going near that place with all the hordes of bikers there. Not that I have anything against bikers, mind you, but I imagine that place will be an absolute nightmare the next few days. Anyway, I'll leave Mitchell early in the morning and get to the Rapid City area around noon. If I don't find my relatives by late afternoon--or if I find them and they're in such a condition that I can't stay with them--I'll be hitting the road south for Chadron, Nebraska, and another night in a Motel 6.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chalmer Harper said...

Hi Michael,

I all goes well on this leg of the journey. If you'd like some Christian radio to tap into while you are Rapid City...I know (more aquaintance...we met on a radio trip) the afternoon host and music director for 107.3/107.9 KSLT. Here name is Jennifer Walker. Maybe you can catch a bit of her show today.

Peace,
CH

8/10/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Hey Michael - Sound like lot of fun. Is Motel 6 keeping the light on for you? God bless you and your journey.........

8/10/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
I hope you found your family today and that they are doing well.
Dennis

8/10/2006  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

The cuisine on this trip sounds almost as appetizing as some of the things I've been eating recently.

8/10/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home