Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Cotton Fields & Saturday's Pig

Here in eastern Tennessee, we don't see sights like this one. Eastern North Carolina is a different story. Almost any direction taken out of Ahoskie, cotton fields are a common sight. Despite the balls of white, the cotton plant isn't a pretty one--not to me anyway. And I can never see it without thinking of the horrible history of American slavery to which it's so closely linked. I've worked tobacco in my younger days (as little as I could get away with, which was, actually quite little). As I recall, tobacco requires one stoop for a good worker, one stoop when the plant stalk is cut near the base. The picture here shows how low to the ground the cotton plant grows. Imagine the extended and endless stooping required to pick a day's worth of plants clean of their yield. Imagine that from dawn till dusk during all those days when the fields were ready to harvest. Just imagine.

Not for vegetarians! This is Saturday's pig--one of them, at least--mentioned in an earlier posting. It's on the cooker, and the meat is being pulled or picked--I don't know which term is correct at this point. The meat goes into the silver tray seen here and then is drenched with the "sauce" in the pint jar.

The picker, the pig cooker extraordinaire, is Uncle Adolph--my uncle-in-law, actually--aka Uncle Sweet Pea. He's a great man, and knowing him has kept my family from missing my father-in-law (his brother) as much as we might have these past sixteen years.

One thing (in two parts) I've always been curious about regarding Adolph but never asked him. First, how did his parents, eastern North Carolina farm folk, come to name him "Adolph"? Second, since he was a boy in the late 1930s and early 1940s, I wonder if his name put him through difficult times with peers and community folk during WWII. I'll have to ask him someday.

8 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Gosh Michael, thanks for two memories and a hope for the future....

I had not seen or thought much about cotton fields since I was a boy living in Texas. That days-gone-by imagery is certainly a sad one...I am assuming that today there is farm machinery that stoops down all day long......hope that is a valid assumption

Once when living in Atlanta, I was in charge of obtaining the pig from the slaughter house for a pig roast at a church I was attending - you get more of the pigs perspective when you have to meet it for the first time at the slaughter house!! However, there is nothing quite like a freshly roasted pig...we even cooked the head in our giant pot of pinto beans..... yummy!

And finally, that is an interesting question you raise about uncle Adolphs name and the WWII era..... I hope you do ask the question and share the answere with us.

Once again, thanks for your words that, as always, make vivid pictures in my head......

10/12/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks for reading, John! I enjoyed being with you and everybody else at the DC party last night.

10/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the incredible experience of spending a few days picking cotton on my uncle's farm in Texas! Outside of picking apricots, taking them into a tent in 100 degree temp and smelling the thousdands of rotten ones that had to be picked out...this was by far the worst job I ever had to do! The prickly thorns that you had to miss when snatching the cotton out left you bleeding to the bone...hence a lot of red cotton! I sure hope they have machines to do this today!

10/12/2006  
Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

I would also like to know the answer to the Adolph question. Being raised in England I used to think of the US being more involved with the Japannese than the Germans (of course this is not true) but the British people spoke as if the Americans had only helped them win the war with Germany. I hate to think what would have happened to Britain without America's total involvement in the war in Europe.

10/12/2006  
Blogger quig said...

I want to meet nbta...........

10/12/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Quig, nbta is my good friend Mark from Nashville, who played guitar in the Cody band, cowrote a bunch of songs with me (wrote a bunch on his own too) and recorded pretty much all the music I have available on the CDs Dennis and others have. He's a great guy and longtime friend.

10/12/2006  
Blogger quig said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/13/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Michael, thank you for sharing that information. His comments are always so spot on - you are fortunate to have such friends... And hello Mark, good to meet you, john

10/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home