Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October


I was walking alone across campus today just as a change of classes was taking place. Students chattered all around me--groups of three or four all talking at once or listening to one leader among them, pairs having conversations, singles talking away on their cell phones. I have a bad tendency to smirk, either inwardly or openly, at the frivolous things they all go on about. Then I passed a spot where two sidewalks merge into one, and two girls who had been walking along--at least one of whom was talking on her cell phone--came together with a "Whassup?" just behind me. Without turning around, I just walked and listened to them. At first they talked about the usual social stuff--none of which I can remember. One of them spoke to a boy passing by and asked him if he still smelled like peanut butter. I didn't hear all of what she said to the other girl after he had passed with "I'm good," but she had also smelled like peanut butter at some point, maybe when she got up that morning or when she got home last night. I didn't like to think how the two of them came to smell that way. Surely it was completely innocent.

They fell quiet for a moment.

Then, "I can't believe it's October."

"Oh, I love October! It's my favorite month!"

"Me too!"

This was different.

Hey, I said to myself, October is my favorite month! Suddenly I thought about these girls in a new way. This love of a particular month in the year we had in common. Why not other things? My own frivolous talk, for example.

I love lots of things about October—the temperatures, the painfully blue skies, the ever-changing colors in the leaves along the sides of the roads we travel and up the sides of the mountains we see all around us. I like the spirit of October as well. Although I’m far from a farmer, a sense of the celebration of harvest time still seems palpable to me, and the month inspires a contemplative mood. When I was a songwriter, October was always my most productive month. One of my last short stories--"A Poster of Marilyn Monroe"--was both completed and accepted for publication in the same October of 2004.

I also like the fact that mowing season is almost over. And yet, I enjoy mowing in these blue afternoons. The sun is warm, even hot, but the air holds that unmistakable chill. I can reach down and run my fingers through the "leaves of grass" and feel a coolness there that surprises on an afternoon at 80+ degrees.

I hope to write some this month. Of course, I have some writing I have to do at work and some writing I intend to do in this space. But I hope I'll write a story or a poem or a song--or at least work on one of these.

Welcome, October.


PS--The image above is another from the Comcast site.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

October...it is a good time of the year. As we watch the changing of this great season, watch for the Lord to bring a change in the ways of man.

10/04/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

October...it is a good time of the year. As we watch the changing of this great season, watch for the Lord to bring a change in the ways of man.

10/04/2006  
Blogger annulla said...

A tribute to October without a mention Halloween? Of course, the kids love to dress up and grab bags full of candy, but for many adults Halloween has traditionally been the great day of freedom, the singular night of the year when they can show the world their true nature without fear of reproach or reprisal.

The football coach dons a wig and satin dress, the housewife wraps herself in studded leather, the executive walks around in a ruffled bonnet and sagging diaper, and everyone who sees them just smiles and laughs because, y'know, it is all just in fun.

10/04/2006  
Blogger mac said...

I'll be steeped in October all month and come eventually to Halloween.

Thanks for reading.

10/04/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE LOVE OCTOBER! YES WE DO! WE LOVE OCTOBER! HOW 'BOUT YOU?!?!?!?

Meredith and I got married in October! We love the month and what it brings to the table.

We love seeing the leaves, the Halloween decorations, feeling the fall chill, watching football, having hayrides, and spending that time in reflection that only October can bring.

I'm happy it's here.

10/04/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home