Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Favorite Lines I

No, these aren't my favorite pick-up lines! They're a few of my favorite lines from songs that I've heard over the years.

I won't leave you 'til I turn to find you gone.
Cock Robin

I was either standing in your shadow
or blocking your light--
though I kept on trying
I could not get it right.
For you, girl,
there's just not enough love in the world.
Don Henley

We're too young to reason,
and too grown up to dream.
Bryan Ferry

Oh, to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for Thy courts above.
"Come Thou Fount"

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
sometimes you're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.
Bruce Cockburn

When I was a kid, Uncle Remus, he put me to bed,
with a picture of Stonewall Jackson above my head;
then Daddy came in to kiss his little man;
with gin on his breath and a Bible in his hand,
he talked about honor and things I should know,
then he'd stagger a little as he went out the door.

I can still hear the soft southern wind in the live oak trees;
and those Williams boys, they still mean a lot to me,
Hank and Tennessee.
I guess we're all gonna be what we're gonna be.
So what do you do with good ole boys like me?
Bob McDill


More later, as I think of them. . . .


243

5 Comments:

Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
You might have started something here. One of my favorite, makes no sense but great, lines is
"If you ever leave me, will you take me with you"
Richard Marx

11/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in my blood like holy wine
And you taste so bitter
but you taste so sweet
I could drink a case of you
And I would still be on my feet
Joni Mitchell

11/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i didn't know now what i didn't know then... Bob Seger

11/17/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Three really good ones!

11/17/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home