Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lights On . . . Nobody Home

Thanks to giving my mind over to teaching responsibilites this week--Hinduism's Bhagavadgita and Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury--I'm mining other minds for the time being.

In preparing for my Wednesday Night Live! class at Cherokee, I ran across these quotes from theologian Joseph Sittler's Gravity and Grace (1986):

St. Augustine, at the beginning of his Confessions, makes a great and beautiful statement: 'Thou has made us for thyself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in thee.' Back of that statement lies a proposition which says that the human is created for transcendence … that we are by nature created to envision more than we can accomplish, to long for that which is beyond our possibilities.

We are formed for God. . . . Faith is a longing. Humankind is created to grasp more than we can grab, to probe for more than we can ever handle or manage.

. . . This restlessness may make us want to throw in the towel — or to pull up our socks. You can either be creatively restless, as before the unknowable, or you can simply collapse into futility. One of the goals of the Christian message is to join together the people of the way, the way of an eternally given restlessness, and to win from that restlessness the participation in God, which is all that our mortality can deliver.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While so very sad at the moment, I am so happy to be part of an eternally restless community at CUMC. Michael, thanks for the moment of emotional respite you have given me.

11/13/2006  
Blogger mac said...

John, I'm thinking about you and Sandy and Jack and Jill. Be well.

11/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you my friend....

11/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home