Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Freedom, Love & Forgiveness

I received an interesting call today. I think the man's name was Rick Hathaway, and I think he said he was pastor of a church somewhere. His call came from the 910 area code, which is somewhere down in the southeastern area of North Carolina. I should have asked more questions, but I was somewhat taken aback by the question he asked me.

He's writing a Christian book of some sort, and he asked my permission to use a portion of the lyric I wrote for my song "Freedom, Love & Forgiveness." The song was recorded ten years ago by a fellow named Thom Shumate and released on an album called Promise of Love. (The project was produced by my good friend Mark, "nbta" here in blogland.) "Freedom, Love & Forgiveness" was released as a single. Although I don't know how well the song performed nationally, it was, I believe, the second most popular song on Nashville's Christian radio station that year.

Anyway, Mr. Hathaway said that he had talked to Thom Shumate sometime recently to get his permission to adapt the lyric for his book. Thom said he didn't write the song and sent the fellow looking for me. He read a passage from the book in which he expands the first verse of the song into prose and uses it as a lead-in to a discussion of his father and the spiritual freedom God gives us. It thought it was good, and I told him it was okay to use the lyric that way.

This isn't the first time the song has been used in such a way. I seem to remember that a pastor friend of mine incorporated the words into one of his fine sermons a couple of years ago. That was good too.


Lyric: http://faculty.etsu.edu/codym/song_freedomloveandforgiveness.htm
Song: http://faculty.etsu.edu/codym/song_freedom_love_and_forgiveness_TS.mp3
Performed by Thom Shumate with Ashley Cleveland; copyright 1996 Questar/Mission Records


243.4

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly one of the greatest songs ever written! You have blessed many with your words and music...and I am one of the many who recieved a double blessing by knowing the man God gifted with such talent. Thanks for being my brother.

10/28/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Michael, I just got cought up on your last three bloggs. Thank you. You are right, the great US of A has become mean spirted....

It reminds me a little of the 50's - we drove by NIKE sites everyday on the way to and from school, had air raid shelters, and air raid practices (hid under our desks for god's sake), and of course, there was a commie behind every tree and under every rock. People suffered greatly because they were associated with one idology or another....

An accountat teacher friend of mine was having class the other night and was talking about business transactions and suggested to his class that they might learn something about transactions by watching people check-out at the grocery store....an Indian lady (married to an American) raised her hand and said in here beautiful Indian voice, "I could not stand and watch people check-out at the grocery store. They would think I was a terrorist getting ready to do them harm..." Apparently the class laughed - I am not laughing.... To me, it is sad where we are and I want us to be in a better place before I die.

Thank you for your words and images in my mind....

10/29/2006  
Anonymous Pam said...

Mac, I'm delighted to "accidentally" run across the author of this song - one of my all time favorites. I first heard it around 2000 when I was living in Napa Valley, California, and the words had a deep and profound effect on me and continue to this day each time I listen to it. Thank you for writing such a blessing of a song.
Pam

7/09/2010  
Anonymous Michael Eggenburg said...

I too, have been blessed by your song! I would like to use it in my sermon tomorrow. I have known Thom Shumate for quite some time (before he released your song on his independent release, "Living on the Surface of the Moon.") Another blessing the song has given me; I got to see Thom and his daughter perform the song together!

1/18/2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home