Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, October 20, 2006

TGIF

I realize that I had the first two days of the week "off," but, man, am I glad it's Friday! Fall break was Monday and Tuesday, but all that really meant to me was that I didn't have to be in class on Monday. I spent both days in the office, writing three 1,000-word entries for the Student's Companion of American Literary Characters. Actually, I got two of them finished by Tuesday evening and then didn't finish the third until today.

I got up around 5:30, as usual. Fed the cat. "Danced my dance," as the old Virginian William Byrd II used to write in his journal; more than likely he was referring to some sort of calisthenics. Dropped Raleigh off at school. Grabbed a bit of McDonald's for breakfast. Went to the office. Finished the final piece for the SCALC. Went to Barberitos for my Friday fish burrito. Returned to the office. Did a bit of this and that there until Raleigh got out of school. Came home and shaved and showered. Drove to Marshall, North Carolina. Attended Landon Davis's visitation (6:00) and funeral (7:00). Went back to my mother-in-law's for some family time. Drove back across the mountain.

At the visitation, I saw Terry Davis, who was Landon's cousin. Terry was in the White Water Band, the high school rock group I played with my freshman through junior years. He still plays every weekend, sounds like. In fact, he and Kirk McWilliams, WWB's drummer, still play together. Kirk drives all the way up from Atlanta every weekend. I wonder what I might have been able to accomplish with that kind of commitment. Maybe I'll write some more about the White Water Band soon. It was an interesting high school experience.

Right now I'm going to bed, and I'm going to sleep until I wake up . . . sort of. I have to set a 6:30 alarm, but it's not for me.


244

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! what a week...get some rest! Whomever needs to get up that early on a Saturday needs to set their own alarm!

You never told me much about the WWB...would be interesting to hear about them. Hope you do get some rest this weekend!

10/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home