Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Fragments of a Poem

October nights of wind and rain pull leaves
away from branches where since spring they've clung
to life. . . .


October nights of wind and rain pull souls
like leaves away from branches where since spring,
since they can remember, they've clung to life. . . .


The rest remain, awaiting their turn to
let go and fly into the night, into
the swirl of wind and rain in October. . . .


A little over a week ago, my brother-in-law and I stood at the graveside of our wives' grandmother and talked about how now that we're the age we are, we're going to be finding ourselves more and more at gravesides. As if in fulfillment of prophecy, another passing took place in the small hours of 17 October, and a day or two from now we'll go through the ceremony again in memory of our wives' stepfather Landon Davis.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Age does have it's way with us...but it's not the end. We pray for your family and pray that comfort will be granted as you look forward to a new age that will certainly have no end.

10/17/2006  
Blogger quig said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and our family..... Bod bless you....

10/17/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home