Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Iranian Cartoonist Anjomrooz Sepideh

I can't offer a definitive interpretation of the cartoon, but I can try to explain the impression I receive from it.

The hand is positioned like that of God's in Michelangelo's painting Creation of Adam that adorns the ceiling of the Vatican's Cistine Chapel. This hand, however, doesn't seem godlike somehow, doesn't seem to have a lot of strength in it. But strength or not, it is certainly intended to represent a Christian version, or vision, of God.

The other feature in the drawing seems to be the bird of peace, a bird holding an olive branch in its beak. Both bird and branch, however, seem made of barbed wire. We think of the uses that material serves, chief of which is containing something by force, keeping it by threat of pain in pasture or prison. It's the bird of peace, but it's made out of violent stuff.

So, one way this pictorial commentary might be "read" is that, from the point of view of an Iranian artist, the Christian world—i.e., the USA—is playing God and ironically trying to offer (or dictate) peace through war. The original painting's hand of Adam, rather listlessly reaching to God in response, is absent here, suggesting that the barbed wire peace being offered is neither requested nor accepted.

The picture came from http://cagle.msnbc.com/, where there's an amazing collection of editorial cartoons on all sorts of national and international topics.


243.6

2 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Michael,
The cartoon is just like the Sunday School book. I read/look at it and then wait and hope you will explain it!!!

10/13/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Okay, Dennis, I have a thought. Pretty good ugh, given it is 6 am and I have been up for two hours. First, it is an Iranian Cartoonist. Second, it is the hand of God pointing west, not just west but doward Isreal. Third, it is the crown of thorns representing Christ. And finally, the message is "you, Isreal, crucified Christ not us, Iranians or more generally, Islamics."
Well, I am sure there is a better explaination, but that is my thought.....

10/14/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home