Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"Well, I'm Back"


This is Samwise Gamgee in an old--1980s, I think--animated version of Tolkien's trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. Good ol' Sam speaks the last words of the trilogy's final book, The Return of the King. He has been to Mordor and back to the Shire, then to the Grey Havens to see his friend Frodo off to another world with the last of the Elves. At last he's home to stay, and to his wife he sighs, "Well, I'm back."

I've been to neither Mordor nor the Grey Havens the last few days, but I've been grading papers and exams and rehearsing and playing in musical events at Cherokee for a couple of weeks now. I feel as if I've been far away through it all.

I think this evening's children's performance was my last special event of the season. I'll do some music on Sunday, but that's just part of the normal thing. Next week, I'll put my flute in the shop to get its keys reseated and try to figure out how to become a writer again.

My little one has been going through driver's education this week. He drove through Garland Acres, a local neighborhood where a friend lives, and out to Unicoi the first day (Tuesday), and he spent some time on I-26 today, getting up to almost 70 mph, which thrilled him. (Oh boy, here we go!)

This milestone for him has just been another event for me that seems to get in the way of my "Christmas spirit." I know that Christmas is less than a week away, but I haven't done anything toward getting ready for it. Outside the musical performances, outside the walls of the church, I'm not feeling it. At least I'm not feeling it like I used to--or like I want to. I'm not moving toward a Scrooge or Grinch period, but I do think I feel a change a-coming in the way that I'll celebrate the season in upcoming years. At this point, I don't think I know what that future way will be, but I have a feeling that it'll be much simpler, much less expensive, much less Xmassy and more Christmassy. (My son's terms. When I was talking to him about getting a fake tree, he said, "That's not Christmassy. That's Xmassy." At least he didn't say what he, as a fifteen-year-old usually says--"That's gay." I hope the phrase and phase passes soon.)

And so I approach Christmas with a little reluctance, a bit of excitement but little enthusiasm. I'll be glad to share the season with family and friends, but I could do with more kinship and friendship. I remember a scene at the end of Jackson's film version of The Return of the King, when Frodo is waking up after his ordeal on the mountain and sees Sam, who has been by him through it all. While all the other members of the Fellowship are celebrating, Frodo and Sam just look silently at one another in a way that reveals the volumes of experiences--good and bad--that they've shared. It's a moving scene, one I think we all ought to get to play out at some point. I wonder, however, if, at this stage in my life and in this age of the world, such friendship is any longer possible.

Come, Emmanuel.

5 Comments:

Blogger quig said...

Nice blog Michael.

Good luck with the driving???

A story about Christmas trees. Real or imatation they have little to do with Christ. However, last year, after Christmas I took our real tree out to my burn pile and with one single match was able to ignite it into a Blazing Inferno... I dedided, and Sandy agreed, that would be the last real tree in our home - a single spark could have set it off and burned this old house to the ground... This year we have our first imatation tree.. looks pretty good too! (I am sure I am rationalizing!)

It is possible to have intamate relationships, friendships, today. For me it requires trust and a willingness to be open with another person. Kind of like marriage. It is not easy to "put yourself out there" for somebody to see all of you your loveables and foilables...... But if you want that friendship, you can find it.........

And so, I wish you a very Happy Christmas and all that you seek in the New Year.... John

12/21/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks for reading, John, and for the response.

You and Sandy have a beautiful old home, so I'm not surprised that the burning-tree experience would bring an artificial tree into the house. We'll probably wait until our son is out on his own before we make that purchase.

As for the level of friendship I'm missing these days, I know it's possible because I've known it before. I'll remain open to it, but I can't help going back to Wilkie Au and THE ENDURING HEART: "Human intimacy is clearly one of life's finest blessings and the sweet taste of what awaits those who love God. Yet, it can be strained to the breaking point when it is made to carry the divinic burden of extinguishing all traces of human lonliness and insecurity. In our longing for intimacy, all of us have to be content in this life with the reality of imperfect connections" (45).

12/21/2006  
Blogger nbta said...

Glad you made it through the finals and now have a chance to be with your family. You really hit on a subject that I know all of us are going through as we get older. We finally are starting to realize what really is important in this life...our friends and family. I'm glad to communicate with you by reading what your going through...just to be connected in some way.

A few months ago we decided with with the Fords and Wancas that we needed to put aside an evening to be together and reconnect. Now, nearly every Saturday night we spend the evening at one of our homes, eating, talking, playing games, and just plain fellowship. It's done wonders for our hearts and minds to reconnect in this way. Just wished you guys were here to be involved.

We have to choose to reach out and become like Frodo and Sam...and I'm glad that we at least have this to stay connected. Love you my dear brother! Merry Christmas and a big amen to...Come, Emmanuel.

12/21/2006  
Blogger mac said...

Thanks for the note, Mark. I'm glad we're able to stay in touch this way. For a lot of years, you were that friend I'm musing about, but now we have this distance fallen in between us--hmm, sounds like a song lyric! Anyway, I'm happy that we're still connected in the ways we are.

I've thought the last couple of days that a trip to Nashville over my Christmas break--between now and Martin Luther King Day--might be in order.

12/21/2006  
Blogger quig said...

Come Emmanuel. Thank you both for sharing your lives with me.....

12/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home