Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Things I Don't Like at 48


What follows is a list of things I don't like about being 48. These are, of course, only the mentionable things--

that I have to put on my glasses just to see what I'm putting on this list

that I'm never sure what body part will protest loudest when I roll out of bed in the morning

that my memory won't hold as much as I want or need it to, that it has apparently been full for a while now and that I can't expect an upgrade

that my older son is grown and my younger is nearly so

that time truly flies and that it gets faster as it goes

that almost all the music I like is 15-20 years old, at least

that at work I feel constantly threatened with being sucked into administration

that I have precious little time to read or write and that the little time I have I manage poorly

that friendships from the easy days of childhood are all but gone

that the deeper friendships developed in the days before work and marriage have settled comfortably into the distance

that new and deep friendship seems impossible to establish in the face of the demands of work and home

that it's time for my midlife crisis and that I can't tell what shape it's going to take

that after 9/11 I can no longer trust a clear blue sky

that the world seems to be getting worse rather than better and that this shouldn't have been totally unexpected

that I wrestle with God more than I want to

that I have to leave this list and head out the door to meet yet another commitment

5 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

Just think, in another 10 - 15 years you can retire and start having as much fun as I am! For a now you could start saving for a big red truck!!!
Dennis

2/17/2007  
Blogger quig said...

If that list went around blogland once I bet it would be a million miles long...........

2/17/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

Say a prayer, drink a great beer, love your wife and kids, hug a friend, hug a stranger, and enjoy every moment that you breathe.

And just like Jacob, it's good that you wrestle with God. But know that after you lose, you may get your named changed and have a huge responsibility that you never dreamed of! I love you brother.

2/17/2007  
Blogger quig said...

Mark that is excellent advice. You just never know what the next moment will bring....

2/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michael.. just wait till 55. 48 seems like nothing!

And like the Wise Old Man Mark said, enjoy every moment.

Love ya, Old Man!
jb

2/24/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home