Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I will never forget"

As much as I always wanted to be a rock-and-roll star, I've come to terms with not being that. Sometimes I'm angry with God for blessing me with a portion of talent and then not allowing me to use it in the way I thought it should be used. But most of the time I'm glad that nothing much came of those dreams. I honestly don't think I would have liked that life very well.

The downside to not making a living with music is in feeling badly that my songs sit on a shelf most of the time, and I have few outlets for giving them the exposure I believe they deserve. I regret that with a palpable ache in my throat.

While the songs go largely unknown, however, these days I'm doing better about using my small gifts as a musical person (not a musician)--at church I sing a little, play a little guitar and flute. It's rewarding every Sunday and becoming more and more so recently.

Today, for example, a truly amazing and humbling moment came and went without my immediately recognizing it. My friends Roz and Joe had a group of Chinese university professors in our church's early service (Cherokee United Methodist Church's 9:00 a.m. Arise service). The band played well--"Salt and Light," "Reign in Me," "More Love, More Power, "Lifesong" and "Those Who Trust." The congregation was opening up, as they've been doing more and more recently--clapping in time, moving in rhythm, singing together. It was a good service.

When Sunday School was over, my son and I were heading out to meet some friends for lunch, but the Chinese group, who were outside and ready to leave, saw us and stopped us. We passed some greetings and compliments back and forth between us, and they took the opportunity to take a couple of pictures. Then my son and I were on our way to Greeneville.

But on the drive, while he was reading his Harry Potter book, I was thinking back over the morning, when suddenly a moment that had passed in a blur came clear to me. I saw a Chinese professor, probably about my age, approach me with a smile and a nicety about the morning's music. What really brought tears to my eyes as I drove 65 mph along Hwy 11E was the image of her shaking my hand and saying, "I will never forget!" What an amazing thing to be part of an event that somebody from the other side of the world will carry home with her.

God, that is amazing! I can imagine that had I become the star I wanted to be, moments like that--most of them insincere--would have been so much a part of my life that they would eventually become meaningless. But now that I'm just another fat guy with a guitar in Tennessee, this wonderful moment can become one that I will never forget!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dennis and Marie said...

You have touched lots of lives with your music. I look forward to hearing you sing and play every week! The Chinese lady who sat by me was smiling, singing and clapping along with your songs. After the service, the Chinese group met in the Counterpoint class for a discussion about their experience. They all said that the service was not what they have expected. They expected it to be a much more serious service. They really enjoyed your music and friendly atmosphere.
It's amazing what a fat guy with a guitar can do!!!
Dennis

7/30/2007  
Blogger nbta said...

I'll never forget either!

7/30/2007  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

Michael...Don't ever forget, because I love your music also, I play it every day. I think God has put you where you belong. Your such a wonderful source of inspiration to many. I still remember when I was down for the quilt show, I had to delay my lunch because I was enjoying hearing you play the flute so much.

Oh, and I don't think you fat..lol

7/31/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home