Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Restless Night

I went to bed around 10:30 p.m. and fell asleep fairly quickly. When I woke up and rolled over to look at the clock, it read 1:12 a.m. I'm not sure if I'm glad that I still have the majority of the night ahead of me or if I'd rather just get it over with and get on with the day.

Whence this restlessness?

At 4:00 this afternoon, I received a call from the Honors Program's executive aide, a woman that I was depending greatly upon to help me learn my new position over the next year. She told me that she was retiring . . . immediately. I'd find her keys on her desk, and I might consider changing the code of the locks on the doors of the Honors House. No notice. Nothing. She's just gone.

What most upsets me about this is that while her voice had such a smile and a celebration in it, her action can hardly be considered anything but spiteful. I haven't even begun officially as director, my official start date's being 1 August 2007. The Associate Director is out for hip replacement surgery for several weeks. And the Dean just left for Paris today. I'm hung high and dry, and she couldn't help but know that would be the result.

She had been at great pains to let me know how much God gave her strength for life. And I looked forward to working with this Christian woman. Now she does this spiteful thing, and I find it difficult not to put her into the category of the many mean-spirited Christians (so-called) in this world.

I'll get by, and I'll learn my position without any more of her help. Eventually I'll be glad that I don't have to work with somebody who is capable of this (at best) thoughtless and (at worst) vindictive action. So I say congratulations and good riddance.

Restless night.

2 Comments:

Blogger nbta said...

As our good friend jb would say..."people are just no *$&@ good!"

Anyway, now you can do your job the way you need to do it instead of having to change after learning someone else's way.

7/13/2007  
Blogger Roz Raymond Gann said...

I imagine she is retaliating against the organization, not you. She doesn't even know you. Support staff has a rough time at a university. You may never know what straw broke the back of this camel.

7/27/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home